Yes another Ump gripe.... (look away if ya need to)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 14, 2011
Once again it is US that has a "reading comprehension problem", not an umpire that won't call an IP when it is necessary. It is not your fault, it is us that can't comprehend what you are saying.

Easton33 hit it right on the head with his last post. What do you teach your students? Follow this book until someone of higher power tells you which rules to ignore? And if you don't "ignore" those rules then you won't be hired?

Seems like a big stretch to avoid personal responsibility and to call the rules correctly in the first place. I'm sure every UIC across the U.S. is telling every umpire hired which rules not to call during every tournament.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
How does a discussion about one rule (pitching) for one sanctioning body (NCAA) equate to "every UIC in the United States, instructing every umpire for every tournament, for every sanctioning body" on which rules to enforce.

Hyperbole much, do ya?

Jun 1, 2013
See Ms244, he wasn't talking about you or I. It appears Bretman is having the problem understanding his posts.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
How does a discussion about one rule (pitching) for one sanctioning body (NCAA) equate to "every UIC in the United States, instructing every umpire for every tournament, for every sanctioning body" on which rules to enforce.

Hyperbole much, do ya?

BretMan, you try to help and explain and if it doesn't fit their perception of what should be, it is wrong and by extension, everyone associated.

Whatcha' gonna do? :) Sometimes I think it is more of an agenda than a perception.

Nov 14, 2011

Hyperbole much, do ya?

Go back to the first post and then re-read your comments to me and see which one doesn't fit. Last time I checked the OP attended a college exposure tournament, not a NCAA event. It was MTR that threw apples into the orange basket and confused you. Apparently it was you that MTR referred to as having the reading comprehension issues.

Nov 14, 2011
Sometimes I think it is more of an agenda than a perception.

This coming from the person who won't follow the rule book that you "teach" and admitted here that there is an agenda as to which rules you will follow?

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
MTR, thanks for your lengthy response to my question. I do understand "politics" play a role in everything..............unfortunately.

Bretman recently, looking up some info with my BB nephews, I see you use to post a great deal on BB sites. ( good stuff too I might add ) So I'm assuming you've umpired both. How do you adjust for the different "feelings" of the IP call? One would think a ump not calling IP in BB wouldn't last long, and we seem to be understanding one calling IP in softball won't last long either. Why is there such a difference in ideas?

Edit: I'm asking from the developmental part of the pitcher himself/herself.

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
BretMan, you try to help and explain and if it doesn't fit their perception of what should be, it is wrong and by extension, everyone associated.

Whatcha' gonna do? :) Sometimes I think it is more of an agenda than a perception.

Actually, MTR, it appears that while you are a consistent proponent of adhering to the rulebook, you seem to condone succumbing to the idiosyncratic wishes of all powerfull tourney directors if that's what it takes to cash a paycheck.

IMO, if umpires banded together and refused to comply with the written or unwritten mandates to not enforce certain aspects of the existing rule sets, the IP rule would get addressed definitively once and for all.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Go back to the first post and then re-read your comments to me and see which one doesn't fit. Last time I checked the OP attended a college exposure tournament, not a NCAA event. It was MTR that threw apples into the orange basket and confused you. Apparently it was you that MTR referred to as having the reading comprehension issues.

Really? Every single post and comment in this lengthy thread is directly relevant to the first post?

Forget reading comprehension. Some of the folks here seem to have a problem with reality comprehension.

Nov 14, 2011
I don't have a problem with "reality comprehension" as you state. I'm not the one who states that they are only enforcing the rules in the book on one hand, and then state that they only enforce rules that either the UIC or the NCAA coaches want them to enforce. You can't have it both ways. MTR was the one who brought up the NCAA umpire issue, not the OP. MTR has been consistent in the defense of both umpires and the rule book, that is until the UIC or NCAA coach is involved. Either way, it is never an umpire issue.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gcsurfer