Another Look Back Rule question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
I mean, you didn’t really have a question right? It was more, hey, here’s an example of a missed LBR violation?

Yeah, this crew missed it. That stinks.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I mean, you didn’t really have a question right? It was more, hey, here’s an example of a missed LBR violation?

Yeah, this crew missed it. That stinks.
Sort of. I wanted to make sure I didn't miss something, and I wanted a few other eyes to see it from a non-biased point of view.

May 29, 2015
The one angle shows the FU looking at 3rd base, so I have no idea why he did not call it.

I thought the same thing. It looks to me as if he is staring right at it.

I don't think this is the case here, but there is one thing that can make a play look like an LBR when it isn't: is the player in the circle with the ball the pitcher? Twice I've worked with partners who made the call, then realized it wasn't the pitcher! (Yes, we fixed it both times.)

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I thought the same thing. It looks to me as if he is staring right at it.

I don't think this is the case here, but there is one thing that can make a play look like an LBR when it isn't: is the player in the circle with the ball the pitcher? Twice I've worked with partners who made the call, then realized it wasn't the pitcher! (Yes, we fixed it both times.)
Upon further review, the HPU is looking out to RF.

Yes, the pitcher was in the circle. She is my daughter.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Not excusing anything as the umpires are not paying attention quite as they probably should, but this play is much closer than you are making out.

Watching the video, the runner left JUST after the pitcher received the ball. If the runner had left a split second earlier, then it is a good play since it is a live ball. I had to watch the video twice to make sure the runner wasn't already on the move while the ball is still in the air. Being 100% sure in real time - even if they were looking right at the situation is not an easy call as the pitcher and the runner are still some distance apart and your eyes don't focus like that.

This example is a good one for me to think about and review how I do this in the field.

Firstly - I umpire until the play is over. #1 priority.
For this part of a play, my general process is that as the field umpire, as a ball is being returned to the pitcher, I am keeping the runners in peripheral vision and am more focused on following the ball until it is in the pitcher's glove (ball isn't going to a runner and no LBR/play possible until the pitcher has it). Then I focus on the runners to make sure they are doing the right thing starting with the lead runner (always the lead runner as they are the one most active). How I do this is important for a later comment....

So yes, the correct call is out for leaving the base once the pitcher had the ball in the circle under the LBR
Because I am 100% confident I go through my process every time, I am confident that I would be able to make a call.
Am I confident I would have 100% got it right. I think I am at about 80-90%. Is the time between when I have confirmed the pitcher has the ball and I have turned to look at the lead runner short enough that she was still on the base.. Feels like I would have caught this.

OK... now lets look at this if I had 3 umpires...
If I had three umpires, U3 (or in some cases the PU) would have basically a direct view of the runner on 3B and the pitcher - because they would be off 3B in foul territory. That position means you don't have to split your focus between the pitcher and the runner- they are both in your field of view. And thus a much easier call (we have discussed the same for runners leaving early having some of the same issues in 2-man umpiring).

Is it worth the cost of having 3 umpires for calls like this - for a weekend tournament? Absolutely not. It is an exceeding rare play and that isn't worth the $$$ and neither are most of the other situations 3 man solves for most games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3girlsDad