8U Playing Time

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 22, 2024
Can any other 8u softball coaches or parents with experience shed some light on this for me…A first year 8u team with a lot of drama- head coach and assistant coach were two of the only three players removed from a team playing last year and went on to form their own team. The team has lost the “manager” and another assistant coach to drama now. Some of the drama has been financials. $325 player fee per kid (12 kids). $3900 total We were given a jersey, hoodie, socks, belt, helmet. We started week one with a calendar fundraiser $5940 total and are expected to now complete calendar payments two weeks early in order to run two more fundraisers before the end of October. Played in two tournaments with a 1-6 record. When the team lost it was usually by 10 plus runs. Sometimes more than 15. Head coach has 12 girls on the team and continues to only sit three girls out in a rotation. Several girls on the team even with deplorable attitudes noticed by parents at tournament games have never set out. Some of these girls who play and play strike out two times in the same game…coach pitch (5 pitches/3 strikes) yet this last tournament the head coach chose to not let one girl play in the field the entire game, one girl to not get to hit the entire game, and one girl to not get to hit or play the field the entire game. All three girls are on par with the other kids on the team. One girl hit 2-2 and then was not allowed to hit in the lineup though we can hit everyone. Another girl had the most consistent solid hit in a prior game driving in three RBIs and going 2 for 3 and she did not get to hit or play the field. These three girls have good attitudes and can certainly hold their own with other girls getting much more playing time. The girls are playing about 3-4 innings each out of 14 innings. This has stayed consistent for two tournaments now and these 3 girls are crying in the dugout and/or leaving the tournament crying. Is there anyway this is justified?

Nov 7, 2022
This sounds awful. The financials sounds shady. If it is through an organization, maybe talk with coaches or families at other age levels and see what they know or talk to whoever is running the organization.

They’re 8. No reason the same kids are sitting all the time. Also, the record is what it is, but if the kids are that miserable, I’d be walking away from this team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 22, 2024
This sounds awful. The financials sounds shady. If it is through an organization, maybe talk with coaches or families at other age levels and see what they know or talk to whoever is running the organization.

They’re 8. No reason the same kids are sitting all the time. Also, the record is what it is, but if the kids are that miserable, I’d be walking away from this team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for responding and for the advice. We are so new that we aren’t even sure how to reach out to the overhead. Yes not nearly as worried about the losing part but wanted to make the point that we aren’t playing the same girls to win tournaments and that sometimes we are down 10-15 runs and still sitting same girls. When I played (many moons ago) and you were up or down that much everyone at least got a chance to play

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
If I was coaching an 8u team I would want (at the end of the year) to see that the number of plate appearances for each player were as close to identical as possible. At 8u you have 2 goals. Make them each better than they were at the start of the season and make them want to play next year. Those are the proper goals for an 8u coach. No amount of plastic trophies are worth discouraging 8 year olds from the game.

Jun 18, 2023
If I was coaching an 8u team I would want (at the end of the year) to see that the number of plate appearances for each player were as close to identical as possible. At 8u you have 2 goals. Make them each better than they were at the start of the season and make them want to play next year. Those are the proper goals for an 8u coach. No amount of plastic trophies are worth discouraging 8 year olds from the game.

well directly correlated with attendance anyway.

i'd add that anyone that that wanted to catch or pitch or play a specific position got at least a few chances to do so.

Sep 22, 2024
well directly correlated with attendance anyway.

i'd add that anyone that that wanted to catch or pitch or play a specific position got at least a few chances to do so.
Yes!! Could totally understand the attendance at practice part. The three sitting are consistently at every practice unless they have a rec game same day…which has been maybe once or twice in 6 weeks. Coach was provided rec schedules prior to creating practice days. Two of the girls who have not set at all do cheer and miss 2 practices each week for cheer practice.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Is there a absolutely no rec ball choices where you live? Play rec ball. If not, you must choose your kids team carefully. You went into it knowing it was a drama filled environment. Why? Did you think drama filled adults were going to change???
If it is a bad as you describe it, I would leave.
Find another team. Ask questions before joining.
Also, your DD will need to practice at home. She needs a tee, some balls and a net. Basic hitting drills and techniques can be found on line.
Simplest way to learn how to catch, fingers up.
With plastic balls, DD lies on her back and tossed ball to herself. 25 reps a day/5 minutes.
Proper throwing and fielding mechanics and drills can also be found on line.
The idea is to get your DD skilled enough that she/you will have choices on which team she plays on.

Aug 15, 2021
When people ask me about travel/club ball for 8 and 10 year olds, I advise against it. There is no reason to play travel ball at this age unless that is the only option. They just need reps, positive reinforcement, and hopefully some good instruction on fundamentals. Kids (and parents) can get burned out early when they start this young. If your DD stays in softball, you'll need that money for 12U or 14U and above.

Oct 14, 2019
We had an awesome 10U rec league with 4 very competitive teams. A good number of those girls have committed to play in college and one just committed to an SEC team. Let the kids go to birthday parties and play on bounce houses at that age. There's plenty of time to play softball.