Coach Interference Explanation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 22, 2011
Was there one umpire or two? At 10u you are likely going to be getting less experienced umpires. Scholarships aren’t going to be awarded based upon performance of your DD’s first fall in 10u.

Correct ruling likely should have been play was dead when coach called time and runner returned to a base, though time isn’t in effect until umpire grants it.

Was this a tournament game or a rec game? 8u and 10u games are hard to umpire, since less experienced players (and coaches) do unexpected things.

I’m still annoyed about losing an elimination game in an 8u tournament over 10 years ago because my runner left the base because the coach on the other team told her she was out and then she was tagged. Couldn’t get the umpire to say she should of been safe.

Concerned you said your runner was sent to second because you didn’t respect the other teams defense. Eventually softball karma is going to catch up to you about that… and that hesitation call could have been that. If you are going to be that aggressive on the bases, teach your players to finish the play, continue running to second, and let the umpire sort it out when play is over.

. As the season progresses teams are going to get better at defending that “aggressiveness”. My philosophy in 8u and 10u is to teach them to play the game like it will be in 12u and 14u. Not to take bases like that if it willn't work on more experienced teams. Prepare them for real softball.

In 2nd year 8u there was a team that was hyper-aggressive on the bases. They beat us fairly easily the first 2 or 3 times we played them. We worked on defending their aggressiveness and last tournament took them to extra innings in the championship game and lost 0-1.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2015
I'm still kind of confused as to what the actual ruling was.

If it was a look back rule violation, you're allowed to stop once, then continue to the base. Depends on how long the "hesitation" is (DFP umps seem to use the "one-one thousand" mental timer).

But you also referenced the other ump saying she left too early?

Love the screen name btw.

Jun 18, 2023
Concerned you said your runner was sent to second because you didn’t respect the other teams defense. Eventually softball karma is going to catch up to you about that… and that hesitation call could have been that. If you are going to be that aggressive on the bases, teach your players to finish the play, continue running to second, and let the umpire sort it out when play is over.

. As the season progresses teams are going to get better at defending that “aggressiveness”. My philosophy in 8u and 10u is to teach them to play the game like it will be in 12u and 14u. Not to take bases like that if it willn't work on more experienced teams. Prepare them for real softball.

We're aggressive at this level too. Nothing teaches an infielder the importance of making a good throw to second or getting the ball back to the pitcher better than getting to run the bases for a little league homerun yourself.

we had a bases-clearing double on a 2 foot dribbler this summer. Catcher panicked and threw it to first instead of stepping on the plate. Over threw. First baseman retrieved it, panicked and threw to third, got away.

It teaches the kids to always look for that extra base, to pay attention to what's going on, to the coaches, to the fielders. That's "real softball". Even if they are good fielders. Single with a runner on first who goes first-third? Look to see if they throw to third and then go to second. Look to see if a runner on second is going to induce a play at the plate and go to second. These are good instincts to cultivate.

Jan 22, 2011
Didn't you read his first post?
Didn't remember seeing mention of field umpire first two times I read post :)

I'm assuming when the player stopped, they likely did violate the lookback rule. My rule of thumb is never give an umpire who doesn't fully understand rules an excuse to call an out and make sure my players understood the rules. I never touch or high 5 my runners when I coach bases.

Jan 22, 2011
We're aggressive at this level too. Nothing teaches an infielder the importance of making a good throw to second or getting the ball back to the pitcher better than getting to run the bases for a little league homerun yourself.

we had a bases-clearing double on a 2 foot dribbler this summer. Catcher panicked and threw it to first instead of stepping on the plate. Over threw. First baseman retrieved it, panicked and threw to third, got away.

It teaches the kids to always look for that extra base, to pay attention to what's going on, to the coaches, to the fielders. That's "real softball". Even if they are good fielders. Single with a runner on first who goes first-third? Look to see if they throw to third and then go to second. Look to see if a runner on second is going to induce a play at the plate and go to second. These are good instincts to cultivate.
Agree on teaching aggressive baserunning. I was confused when my DD was 14 or 15 and someone complimented her on the number of doubles she hit. She hit a lot of singles and was very good at reading throws from the OF to take 2nd. On defense she was respected because she was fairly good at gunning down runners trying to take extra bases.

I was keying off the comment they didn't respect the defense. My philosophy is to respect the game and opponent so the softball gods aren't offended.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2023
I was keying off the comment they didn't respect the defense. My philosophy is to respect the game and opponent so the softball gods aren't offended.

I was taking it to mean in the "giving consideration to" way. Maybe "We don't worry about the other team's defense" is more neutral?

How about "We like to challenge the other team's defense" but that feels a little smug?

Sep 15, 2023
Didn't remember seeing mention of field umpire first two times I read post :)

I'm assuming when the player stopped, they likely did violate the lookback rule. My rule of thumb is never give an umpire who doesn't fully understand rules an excuse to call an out and make sure my players understood the rules. I never touch or high 5 my runners when I coach bases.
We didn’t violate the look back rule at that point, as the pitcher wasn’t in the circle and our runner wouldn’t have stopped had the coach not yelled time, while walking on the field, and his hands raised (five feet from her). The ball was still active.

As far as the aggressiveness, we’re not going to stay on first when the other team can’t make a throw to second.

May 29, 2015
Welcome to youth sports were the authorities can't accept their mistakes and fix it.

And by "authorities" we are referring to the coach who walked out on the field and "called time," right?

I don't know the situation of umpires in the OP's league, but I will venture on the side of "two umpires on a 10u softball game in September" are probably not sharpening their skills while waiting for MLB postseason assignments in October. But, that is our expectation ... while Coach Doofenschmirtz, the infallible professional, creates a train wreck.

While we hope that umpires would know the coach cannot call time out (he can request it) and would properly assess the penalty for the verbal interference he committed (yes, it was interference in ANY code by the OP's description ), I would also say you need to look at the scenario and all the culpable parties. Want them to get it right next time? Train the coach not to commit interference and then train the umpires. Just 'cause you gave them indicators, a shirt, and maybe a free hot dog does not make them umpires. It makes them two guys (or gals) trying to do some good for the youth in their community.

Sep 15, 2023
I'm still kind of confused as to what the actual ruling was.

If it was a look back rule violation, you're allowed to stop once, then continue to the base. Depends on how long the "hesitation" is (DFP umps seem to use the "one-one thousand" mental timer).

But you also referenced the other ump saying she left too early?

Love the screen name btw.
Thanks! Yes, one ump said she left early, then said it was the look back rule. The plate ump said she “hesitated” on the run, which she did, but only after the opposing coach’s actions.

I’m a big Patrick Murphy fan, so Mudita comes from the UA program. Roll Tide!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles