Sparkler HR rules

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2009
Still like my football like receiver rule. It's more realistic. Outfields would never superman dive into a 8 foot chainlink fence without facing serious injury.
Reminds me of my favorite outfielder, Caitlin Lowe. She had issues with fences. Bet they’re still on Google.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
DD's played on Columbine's HS field. year 2016.; They actually put temporary fences on a HS field. I was so confused.
Our HS had one, too. They used the outfield for field hockey in the fall, so they couldn't have a permanent fence. Although, they did keep the foul poles up year round.

Aug 12, 2014
DD's HS used temp fences as well. For whatever reason, the permanent fence is too deep and they don't want to move it.

May 29, 2015
So if a batter hits the ball over the 3 foot high fallen down mesh fence and the outfielder leaps completely over the fence and catches the ball it is an out, BUT if there are runners on base they are awarded one base automatically whether they tagged up or not.

Two parts to that. The home run/catch and then the fielder carrying the ball out of play.

Who if the heck makes up these rules?
NFHS (or whatever rule set you are using).

1720388509909.png
1720388603763.png

1720388836452.png

What happens when the fence is completely down (horizontal) is not covered in the rule book. It should either be prescribed by the tournament, or part of the ground rules if you are using a temporary fence.
1720389071001.png

Personally, I don't like the concept of allowing the fielder to make a play "if they are making contact with the fence" if it is completely horizontal. You are essentially giving them three (or so) extra feet that they would not otherwise have. I feel their feet should be where their feet would be if the fence was in place (inside the bottom boundary of the fence, not the top).

"Catch and carry" -- following a legal catch, it is illegal to carry the ball into dead ball territory.
It is a dead ball if . . .

1720389449182.png
1720389523882.png

. . . and when a fielder carries a ball into dead ball territory . . .

1720389654388.png

SO . . . I agree with you that I don't like the idea of a fielder taking a long jump, but it is by the book as long as she is does not have one foot (or any other part of her body) on the ground in dead ball territory when she makes the catch.

If she was straddling the fence, it sounds like it was a bad call IF one foot was completely out. The rule doesn't say "have one foot in," it says cannot have one foot out.

Attachments

• 1720388478571.png
    1720388478571.png
    43.5 KB · Views: 9
May 29, 2015
Must have been women's prison exhibition game.?

b2265971-9663-4fd7-a737-155a79fc87a0_text.gif

May 29, 2015
Also, umps have become obstruction maniacs. They can't wait to call it, even on SS covering 2nd on a steal attempt.
Runner was out by a mile. Fielder was positioned in front of the bag. Runner had plenty of room. If she was obstructing, it was a very small partial of the base. She called obstruction very early. Probably before the runner slid. I haven't seen obstruction called in this situation ever before. Some umps like to enforce new rules to a fault. They like being part of the game.

Obstruction has become a point of emphasis in many organizations. There is no rule allowing for "small obstructions" even though there are codes with rule contradicting interpretations (mainly on the baseball side).

One thing that rules in every code are missing are the timing of obstruction. I had a play at the plate a few weeks ago where the coach came out and asked "Was the catcher in the base path?" I said, "Yes, he was . . . while your runner was coming around third base. That's not obstruction in my book. Just because it meets the text book definition doesn't mean it is."

Yes, a fielder's position can cause the runner to adjust before the runner gets there, and then it is an obstruction. It doesn't always though. Personally, I am looking for that adjustment wherever, whenever it may happen. MLB is having issues because of what it used to allow versus this year's directive which is to call everything. The problem isn't in calling everything, it was not calling it before. It is not a new rule.

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
Two parts to that. The home run/catch and then the fielder carrying the ball out of play.

NFHS (or whatever rule set you are using).

View attachment 29802
View attachment 29803

View attachment 29804

What happens when the fence is completely down (horizontal) is not covered in the rule book. It should either be prescribed by the tournament, or part of the ground rules if you are using a temporary fence.
View attachment 29805

Personally, I don't like the concept of allowing the fielder to make a play "if they are making contact with the fence" if it is completely horizontal. You are essentially giving them three (or so) extra feet that they would not otherwise have. I feel their feet should be where their feet would be if the fence was in place (inside the bottom boundary of the fence, not the top).

"Catch and carry" -- following a legal catch, it is illegal to carry the ball into dead ball territory.
It is a dead ball if . . .

View attachment 29806
View attachment 29807

. . . and when a fielder carries a ball into dead ball territory . . .

View attachment 29808

SO . . . I agree with you that I don't like the idea of a fielder taking a long jump, but it is by the book as long as she is does not have one foot (or any other part of her body) on the ground in dead ball territory when she makes the catch.

If she was straddling the fence, it sounds like it was a bad call IF one foot was completely out. The rule doesn't say "have one foot in," it says cannot have one foot out.
Wow a lot to ingest in all that...
the barbed wire seems more simpler now...?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scoons831