Yes another Ump gripe.... (look away if ya need to)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 14, 2011
I will agree with you about calling IP during an exposure. It won't happen. But then again I have never seen an IP called during any game that I have watched in the last 5 years of TB. This includes local games, State Tournaments and Nationals. My sarcasm is that IP isn't being called in my area, and there are TONS of pitchers who throw illegal. Coach Candrea was very vocal about this fact a few years ago when his pitcher was called for I believe 3-4 IP's during one game. Candrea commented that it is wrong to call an IP during the WCWS if you aren't going to call them during the regular season. I would disagree slightly with Candrea as I feel they should be called all the time, not just during the most important tourneys.

Mar 13, 2010
I find it extremely hard to believe that any college coach would chime in about an umpire's call, despite how bad the call may have been. No college's athletic depart would ever give a coach that this type of behavior was appropriate. I wonder how games are handled where these people coach.

College coaches are not interested in drafting pitchers who don't pitch legally, unless they think that they can break the habit immediately.

Agree 100% with your post based on my experience at the three large college showcase/exposure tournaments I work each season.

And as for the bold part......zero chance of that occurring in any of the tournaments I work.

The college coaches in attendance are not there to talk to fans, or to pay any attention to the umpires, they could care less.....they're there to observe particular players. Their only interest in call that went against a player, is how did the player react to it.

Dec 7, 2011
I find it extremely hard to believe that any college coach would chime in about an umpire's call, despite how bad the call may have been. No college's athletic depart would ever give a coach that this type of behavior was appropriate. I wonder how games are handled where these people coach.

College coaches are not interested in drafting pitchers who don't pitch legally, unless they think that they can break the habit immediately.

Good challenge - it happened more like this -

Bad call occurred.
College coach ran over to the offended coach to make sure he knew that the argument that the ump was making was totally baseless. So you are absolutely right - the college coach did not directly get into an exchange with the ump (sorry if my words suggested this)

Dec 7, 2011
Interesting about the small strike zone. Our limited experience with exposure has been at college camps and a few private "showcase" camps.
At these, the zones have been huge, presumably because the coaches didn't come to see your kid take a walk.

In these 18U-G exposures a walk is like a K when at bat. NONE of the batters were even thinking about a walk. Everybody's swingin.

That's been what I have seen at these things. So pitchers don't want to walk anybody and batters don't want anything but a line drive. In the end there was allot of fireworks

Dec 7, 2011
14u A tournament. Our first game this weekend, the ump had a strike zone as big as an iphone. Our coaches didn't complain, we made adjustments. Our pitcher who usually throws 75-80% strikes walked 2. She has 3 total in 16 games pitched this fall. Other team coaches complained a lot and they didn't adjust....at least 10 walks. Did their strike zone shrink? Yes, I think it did. Fair no

Next game same umpire...the new team we were playing...there coaches told the pitcher to adjust....great game maybe 3-4 walks total in the entire game. The umpire was very consistent with both sides.

I do think the more you complain...your strike zone shrinks. Umpires might say no, but if you keep arguing with them, I do believe the close calls go the other way.

I think ALL the pitchers adjusted to throw right down the middle with as much off-speed as they could get away with. Don't get me wrong, I am bitchin here in defense of ALL the pitchers that were there. It was tough on all of them.

In a way I think it might be a good idea for these - to force the ball to be hit, more defense, more action, etc. But maybe tell the pitchers going into the tourney that they are going to be SQUEEZED HUGE. Make it a special challenge for them too.

I dunno - the whole thing was "weird".....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gcsurfer