Teaching the high level pattern

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Like this? AJs hands are not behind a corner here bc the leg doesn’t spiral anymore.. there is no ‘on around’ anymore. He is direct. He’s not stuck back. Let’s his hands be free to go get it out front if needed. The knees tell you where the weight is..

View attachment 26524
One leg, two leg, 5 legs..whatever. I think the key is the bolded. He is “walking away” from his hands much better now imo.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
@Rolling Hard heres a really good illustration of segmentation. Hips, core & hands, thoracic, shoulders. Getting back in order which sets up the acceleration and deceleration of hips, core, thoracic, shoulders, lead hand, bat. The whip comes from the transitioning of these parts separately and mostly bc while some thing things are unloading other things are still loading. Loading in the unload it’s called. Or TMs ‘missing frames’. I just call it sequence.

View attachment 26513

Edit: what I left out was the carrying of each segment through launch, picking up speed from each part below it (slingshot affect), eventually giving the bat top speed upon full release of the top hand. Hopefully that makes sense. Aka ‘the hips lead the hands’

The body is separate parts that you break down into individual segments that you must use to pass on to the next segments?

Sounds a little looonnnggg.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
The body is separate parts that you break down into individual segments that you must use to pass on to the next segments?

Sounds a little looonnnggg.

Yes. When you explain what’s happening piece by piece it’s sounds long. The truth is usually a bit longer in explanation. 🤷🏽‍♂️

But my edit explained how the speed is generated. Each piece taking from the previous piece and adding their own ‘spin’ which slows down the previous piece with its launch and helps ‘launch’ the next piece faster. Accelerate then decelerate. Kinetic chain.

Reactions: TDS
Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
I love how AJ is now doing it correctly!! Very funny.

Judge isn’t as rushed, loads early, a little more pause without the pause.
Totally agree and I’d add he’s circle loading instead over twisting the torso and shoulders. This helps create a better bat path to the ball. Might be why W sees free hands.

Oct 2, 2017
Just have to ask where is AJ walking away from hands? His hands maintain a pretty stable and predictable relationship with the rear shoulder.

Jun 8, 2016
Just have to ask where is AJ walking away from hands? His hands maintain a pretty stable and predictable relationship with the rear shoulder.

Looks to me like his COG is moving out more than before, and timed better with the upper load, even if his hand position relative to his shoulder isn't much different 🤷‍♂️. Still not anywhere near somebody like Betts for example but with his size he doesn't need that sort of movement.

Honestly he looks a bit different pattern wise to me. I never liked how he moved out ( I have said this about him for about 4 years now..), reminded me too much of Marcela's reach ( :ROFLMAO:) but that looks better to me now. That said I am fine with crediting his improvement with him just being more comfortable with what TM is instructing him to do..no skin off my back one way or the other...I really don't care and not interested in a pissing war about it.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Totally agree and I’d add he’s circle loading instead over twisting the torso and shoulders. This helps create a better bat path to the ball. Might be why W sees free hands.

It’s great to get video of someone who is completely hot. It always “looks” different. I have a old Olerud swing, but it’s not the complete load and stride, but the ease of him going on and around or change of direction while making an adjustment is amazing.

I bet if we put Stanton up against himself of his MVP season we would see a diffence. Right now he has bat drag, which is set up because of a crappy lowerbody. Doesn’t get to his spot, rushed trying to out athlete the situation.

I’m watching Judge, and I hate watching Stanton.

giphy.gif
1992? Correct? A swing from flirting with 400.

Jun 8, 2016
Here is Arron’s forward move and how he creates that stretch you pointed out. It’s different than the traditional lateral shift.

So you don't see him moving his middle out more (or ball of the femur if you want to use that as a measure) in what he is doing this year ? Again it isn't Betts in that regards

WriliDO.gif

but it doesn't have to be..

I don't know, maybe I am seeing things :ROFLMAO:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad