Teaching how to properly hold a softball...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2023
You can literally watch pitchers in live games standing on the mound/in the circle adjusting their grip and finding the seams. And you think infielders are doing that while running, bending over and adjusting their feet?

What would even be the point? You're not trying to get maximum spin rates on a throw to first. It's not like you're going to accidentally grab in some way that none of your hand is touch seams and it'd slip or something. You're certainly not going to accidentally throw a knuckleball with no spin and it'd evade the first baseman.

As long as the ball isn't in your palm, the natural act of throwing it is going to cause enough spin from the fingers to be a fine throw. That's all. Don't complicate things that don't need it.

May 27, 2013
Ok now you are just being difficult 😂
I actually put my index and middle fingers right on top of the seams where they narrow and get closer together on the ball. I know - probably very wrong! I guess it’s similar to a 2-seam FB grip in baseball.

Jun 8, 2016
I actually put my index and middle fingers right on top of the seams where they narrow and get closer together on the ball. I know - probably very wrong!
So are you adjusting your grip to do this because if so then you are doing something (adjusting) that 1/2 are saying shouldn’t be done to use a grip that the other half are saying shouldn’t be used…hence the “difficult” part 😂

May 27, 2013
So are you adjusting your grip to do this because if so then you are doing something (adjusting) that 1/2 are saying shouldn’t be done to use a grip that the other half are saying shouldn’t be used…hence the “difficult” part 😂
Ahhhh. Gotcha. And yes, I literally just had to reread that about 5 times.

Jun 8, 2016
And you think infielders are doing that while running, bending over and adjusting their feet?
If IF are doing all of that AFTER they field the ball they have bigger issues..

It really isn’t hard to find a 4 seam grip..Did you watch my instructional video? :p

Jun 18, 2023
If IF are doing all of that AFTER they field the ball they have bigger issues..

It really isn’t hard to find a 4 seam grip..Did you watch my instructional video? :p

Honestly if you're not calculating the spin off the bat and knowing exactly where to pick it up so that the seams are oriented the way you need, I can't help you.

Jun 8, 2016
Honestly if you're not calculating the spin off the bat and knowing exactly where to pick it up so that the seams are oriented the way you need, I can't help you.
Challenge accepted!! (I will first have to work on not pulling 5 muscles getting down to field the ball :) )

May 21, 2018
I actually put my index and middle fingers right on top of the seams where they narrow and get closer together on the ball. I know - probably very wrong! I guess it’s similar to a 2-seam FB grip in baseball.
That's how I've thrown all my life, and I can get that grip without thinking about it. I guess if it was a bang bang play you might now be able to adjust your grip, but anything other than shouldn't be a problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles