Teaching hitting Carrier/Bustos approach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
What is being described as a negative hand movement was described as style back in the day. Would I coach that much movement? No. However, the results over time seem to have been pretty good.

Shawn, the pitcher is mediocre and that is obvious? You can say that after seeing one pitch? Damn, I can't wait for you to post all of the success of your hitters and the top-notch pitching that they face.

I’m not playing your game. You have no idea what you’re looking at. Good bye expert. Strike three 🥎🥎🥎

Both my girls made Varsity as freshman. They won back to back state at 12 and 14 for travel ball. I think their doing ok.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Not RH but I'll answer who's swing I modeled my dd's swing after. We used Albert Pujols' swing. As I have often posted, that was the goal but there is only one Albert.
Albert Pujol (The Machine), Josh Donaldson, JD Martinez, and how about Howie Kendricks. There are a lot of good swings out there. Taylor Ward (Angels) has a great swing and hoping he has a break out year after being out most of last year after getting drilled in the face by a 94 mph fastball.
I am not fond of loose hands armbar swings. Swings that wouldn't be modeled. Not to many coaches would have their students study that Belle video and try to emulate that swing. He was a great hitter but not a model, IMO.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I’m not playing your game. You have no idea what you’re looking at. Good bye expert. Strike three 🥎🥎🥎

Both my girls made Varsity as freshman. They won back to back state at 12 and 14 for travel ball. I think their doing ok.
Really? So, now you are an expert. Got it. You have learned well from your guru.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Albert Pujol (The Machine), Josh Donaldson, JD Martinez, and how about Howie Kendricks. There are a lot of good swings out there. Taylor Ward (Angels) has a great swing and hoping he has a break out year after being out most of last year after getting drilled in the face by a 94 mph fastball.
I am not fond of loose hands armbar swings. Swings that wouldn't be modeled. Not to many coaches would have their students study that Belle video and try to emulate that swing. He was a great hitter but not a model, IMO.

Let’s not forget he ruined his hip from his swing.

His coach said he just let him swing. He was such a natural hitter all he wanted him to think about was competing.

I have many of swings if you want more data.

Feb 24, 2024
We should never model our hitters after anyone. We should always test our students to see what they are able and unable to do. Can they rotate their hips, can they bend their torso, can they rock their ankles, etc. Then we can create an efficient swing for them. One last thought, a great swing doesn’t mean that our students will be great hitters. There’s a lot more involved in hitting than a swing.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Just looking through this thread. All your hitters so far have large hand movement back. You teach separation which makes it worse. 62 home runs uh, that is some mediocre pitching she is facing in that swing. So the hand movement and separation works because if this is the pitching she is facing.

I’ll continue to look through the thread.
The girl who hit 62 plays division 1. Sophomore year lead the league in homeruns.....:)

Aug 1, 2008
ohio

Here is a 6th grader, plays PGF tournaments. She is number 1 or 2 on every team she plays for. She plays at the highest level

Aug 1, 2008
ohio

Here is a senior. Started with me late summer. Had a flat bat pure level swing, knob to ball taught. She asked if I could give her a better swing. She worked hard and at end of winter went to a camp and got an offer to play in college. Very athletic shortstop.
All my girls stretch a different amount. I tell them to hit like they throw and I teach them to stretch when they throw. She is having a great senior year in school ball so far....:)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles