Teaching the high level pattern

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Here's my disclaimer, I don't try and pretend to be more than a HS coach trying to help a middle of the Division program with great kids but overall average athletes get better. We have a couple Div. 1 players sprinkled in that makes it all interesting. Out of necessity and frustration, I started working with the bottom 1-2 kids, weakest links. As their success showed , I got better and more serious athletes ( Maddie& Haley) that also improved.

When learning HLP , I've made lots of mistakes along the way partially because language has multiple meanings, the Eskimo's have 50 different ways to describe snow. I did this not as an expert but to help others clear up some of those different meanings that caused me so much trouble.

W has no interest in the explanation of any of this and can probably break it down better than I can but he uses the same things that slowed the learning process for me and my students and makes a great point. So, if anyone really wants an explanation or is having trouble understanding some of the meanings of these patterns let me know.

I want to officially welcome out newest HLP Guru or should we say the original
W.....
Where is AJ 1 legged? During the negative move? This pattern looks eerily similar to what I’ve preached here before.

Don't be shy , If you get stuck! you can always PM me. I hope your not just jumping on the AJ bandwagon for his amazing yr.
Imagine how much better AJ could do without a fraud hitting coach and his flawed teaching principals.
Working late again? 😉

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Here's my disclaimer, I don't try and pretend to be more than a HS coach trying to help a middle of the Division program with great kids but overall average athletes get better. We have a couple Div. 1 players sprinkled in that makes it all interesting. Out of necessity and frustration, I started working with the bottom 1-2 kids, weakest links. As their success showed , I got better and more serious athletes ( Maddie& Haley) that also improved.

When learning HLP , I've made lots of mistakes along the way partially because language has multiple meanings, the Eskimo's have 50 different ways to describe snow. I did this not as an expert but to help others clear up some of those different meanings that caused me so much trouble.

W has no interest in the explanation of any of this and can probably break it down better than I can but he uses the same things that slowed the learning process for me and my students and makes a great point. So, if anyone really wants an explanation or is having trouble understanding some of the meanings of these patterns let me know.

I want to officially welcome out newest HLP Guru or should we say the original
W.....
Where is AJ 1 legged? During the negative move? This pattern looks eerily similar to what I’ve preached here before.

Don't be shy , If you get stuck! you can always PM me. I hope your not just jumping on the AJ bandwagon for his amazing yr.
Imagine how much better AJ could do without a fraud hitting coach and his flawed teaching principals.

Haha. I just think AJ has found proper leverage which gave him better timing. We all know TM has painted himself into a corner w his boasts of how nobody knows but him.. So he must mask changes etc. he can’t admit he was wrong about anything. It hurts business if he says otherwise. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
@Rolling Hard heres a really good illustration of segmentation. Hips, core & hands, thoracic, shoulders. Getting back in order which sets up the acceleration and deceleration of hips, core, thoracic, shoulders, lead hand, bat. The whip comes from the transitioning of these parts separately and mostly bc while some thing things are unloading other things are still loading. Loading in the unload it’s called. Or TMs ‘missing frames’. I just call it sequence.

1663509996376.gif

Edit: what I left out was the carrying of each segment through launch, picking up speed from each part below it (slingshot affect), eventually giving the bat top speed upon full release of the top hand. Hopefully that makes sense. Aka ‘the hips lead the hands’

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Since AJ is using his middle better and is not stuck back he’s able to keep the bat more in the centerline. ‘Your hands need to stay at the middle of your sternum’.

May 16, 2019
Since AJ is using his middle better and is not stuck back he’s able to keep the bat more in the centerline. ‘Your hands need to stay at the middle of your sternum’.

The more weight on the front foot , the harder it is to achieve this position because the hands get pushed forward has been my experience with young athletes. Controlling and launching from the rear leg has helped my students. BTW, Richard agrees that the front leg gets weighted... Cue the one legged golfer

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves