Teaching how to properly hold a softball...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Wow 113 post on how to grip the ball. Blewett guy is spot on. About the seams...I throw with a four seam grip. It is done subconsciously with no effort and virtually no time (less than .10 second I would estimate). I expect outfielders to always find four seams, get their thumb under the ball and throw with backspin. The axis of backspin does not have to be perfect perpendicular to the ground but close to it. Infielder on routine one or two hoppers should throw 4 seam. Since they are often throwing from 3/4 arm slot their backspin axis will be more tilted. On hurried plays or transitions on double plays you instinctively just get rid on it. Catchers throwing out runners? IDK. But will ask them if they try to throw 4 seams. I suspect probably not.
Electrical tape dividing the ball in two thru the four seams is a good tool.
Also 8u and 10u coaches watch this:

Jun 18, 2023
. I expect outfielders to always find four seams, get their thumb under the ball and throw with backspin. The axis of backspin does not have to be perfect perpendicular to the ground but close to it.

You don't need your fingers on the seams to create backspin, though yes, thumb under obviously. You get your thumb under a billiard ball and throw it correctly you'll get backspin.

May 13, 2023
These may come across as rhetorical questions, however serious questions.

For those that think it's necessary to use
4 seam grip...

HOW do you explain being able to throw with accuracy and speed (mph) without doing that?

Directly brings up the point again of
WHY add something that is unnecessary?

How and Why Please....

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Outfielder have time to find the seams during their transition. They don't have to look at the ball. Just done by feel. Its easy. And as Blewett explained in this video, throwing 4 seam will add carry. It will also make it easier on your catcher fielding balls thrown home from the outfield. Two seam, side spin wobblers take funny bounces.

May 13, 2023
Outfielder have time to find the seams during their transition. They don't have to look at the ball. Just done by feel. Its easy. And as Blewett explained in this video, throwing 4 seam will add carry. It will also make it easier on your catcher fielding balls thrown home from the outfield. Two seam, side spin wobblers take funny bounces.

Just because someone is gripping the seams doesn't mean they're releasing ball correctly.
There can still be side spin produced like a curve.
And bad arm angle / arm slot approaching the throw

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
These may come across as rhetorical questions, however serious questions.

For those that think it's necessary to use
4 seam grip...

HOW do you explain being able to throw with accuracy and speed (mph) without doing that?

Directly brings up the point again of
WHY add something that is unnecessary?

How and Why Please....
Back spin and not getting around the ball and throwing thru the ball is most important. But adding 4 seams to that equation is even better. BTW, I ask my DD, when you catch and try to throw out runner do you try to find a 4 seam grip? Her answer, "are you serious"? So catchers are very similar to MI the transfer on double plays. Got no time.

May 13, 2023
Back spin and not getting around the ball and throwing thru the ball is most important.
Ok.
How do you explain being able to throw accurately with Speed without grabbing the seams?
That is a throwing question. Possibly simplest answer is, (my answer is)
Because everything needed to throw the ball has to do with good throwing mechanics and the spin that's produced from gripping the ball anywhere.
Not only in my own softball 24 years of playing. But over 35 years of working with catchers I watch intensely to make sure the spin is accurate and it definitely has increased spin rate when released properly. Proper mechanics are the key to good throws!
No seam grip and still proper throws with high spin rate.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles