Teaching the high level pattern

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
While it’s nice in theory, you cannot hit (as well) from a preset position..there needs to be some dynamic loading. So like he said in that video , he was presetting in such a way that when he then went to dynamically load they were trapped. Watch the video, he explains it 😉

I have access to far more access to him explaining what he feels and what he works on.

I don’t have to rely on a little snippet for what he works on.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
How much dynamic loading is needed?

giphy.gif

Jun 8, 2016
Is this more dynamic?

View attachment 27722

Or is it the same as Nomar?

View attachment 27723
What point are you trying to prove? I don’t know one good hitter whose hands don’t move at all relative to their body before they launch. Some walk away from their hands with minimal active hand load and some load their hands a bit more.

I was just repeating AJ’s explanation for changing his handset…nothing more.

Last edited:
May 16, 2019
I always disliked the corner concept. Even if in theory it creates bat speed it causes disconnection. I am glad AJ has lost it and predict a huge season for him this year.
Could somebody post Trouts HR vs. Otani's yesterday. Trout super connected with no corner. Otani with corner. Both ways can work but I see more benefit from keeping hands in front of the body.
Great statement about your understanding of the corner. The statement "Behind the corner" to me included where the hands are , I struggled with that for a long time. I now believe that the terms behind the corner and on and around is a reference to the stretch created by the upper half holding in a rearward direction as the lower half leads with the leg snap and hip turn. The upper half is resisting going forward with the lower half otherwise you would be ABAF in the swing.

1st step is learning the swing,
2nd is learning how to hit with the swing.

Like Judge resent swings several years ago started having my students place their hands in line with the rear foot toes. Changing the location of the corner and having less tendency to hide the hands leading to the urge to spin the hands forward. Putting this in to practice, helped Maddie stay back and either lay off or hit the change up depending on her approach for that at bat. Her outside hitting also improved.

Good luck going forward... but not too forward.. lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28