Yes another Ump gripe.... (look away if ya need to)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 2, 2013
They do not call Illegal Pitches in softball.

Softball is not baseball. Similar ... but very different.

My DD has played both. It has never been an issue that the softball pitchers do not get called.

Just hit the crap out of it.

Accept, hit it hard ... or don't accept the reality, and go home complaining.

These "rules" folks do not get it. The key is to fully understand how the game is being called in reality ... deal with it ... adjust to it ... and learn to take advantage of it.

For all the pitchers dads who complain about a tight strike zone ... go ahead, hop off the rubber, stick your elbow out (or in) ... try a quick pitch ... or delayed tactic ... if you will.

My DD will still hit the ball ... because her primary focus is hitting what is delivered ... and not HOW it was delivered !!!

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
Thanks for sharing ORBlue, none of the others would. So more than likely none of the coaches were told. By the time the pretourny meeting has occurred everyone has paid. Kinda late IMO to start changing the rules. Was there a specific reason he did not want IP's called?

Might want to check out posts 90 and 111. Others did answer the question.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
So, specific reasons for no IP's????
1. The TD doesn't want coaches (and parents) yelling about "letting the girls just play the game"; "The umps are too picky"; "That ump doesn't like me as a coach and is taking it out on the girls"....... should I go on?
2. The TD is tryihg to keep games on schedule.....IP's do take up time in a time limited game.....???????
3. I'm not really sure why........they just do.

But we don't have these problems calling IP's in baseball. I love my girls, I love this game, but I'll never understand WHY the difference in ideas of importance..........of the legality of pitchers...........is on opposite ends of the spectrum.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
In reality, I think the coaches should be more upset with the TD instead of the umpire crews. The umpires are following the instructions of the "employer" for that weekend. The umpire then decides if they want to work for that specific "employer"....that TD.

I'm starting to really agree with you here. That's why I'm trying to get information from you ( umpires ) to find the root of the problem.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
They do not call Illegal Pitches in softball.

But that can be a slippery slope. Let's say the TD says "I'd rather you umpires not call any IP's during my tourney..........I'm going to relay that message to the coaches".

1)Let's say I'm playing the Crushers 18u and their pitcher is leaping off the ground and crow hopping. She's beating us pretty good, but she's "illegal".

2)Then let's say ole GD is ready to "cook their azz" and I bring in a ringer to pitch............my 3rd baseman. Nice old school step style mixed with a leap/drag every now and then, throwing about 70mph. But wait...........she's throwing overhand!!! ( Mr. Ump, yourself and the TD said "no IP's............correct? )

So when a TD wants no IP's called, where do we draw the line? Both #1 and #2 are only illegal by an "ingredient" in fastpitch. How could an ump say #1 is more legal because of her delivery from the waist up, where mine is more legal from the waist down?

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Why are TD's allowed to have the rules selectively enforced as they see fit?
More importantly why do the umpires agree to the subordination and follow the TD's desire to ignore the rules?

So "cracking the spine" of a rule book is not necessary for the coaches, they just need to listen to the TD's to get the rules.

If a TD said we were going to go with 3 strikes and 5 balls for this tournament since there are no dominant pitchers, would the umpires do that too?

TD's choose what alphabet sanctioning body to go with to align their tournament. Shouldn't that mean that they also choose the alphabet sanctioning bodies rules too?

Mar 1, 2013
My take on being told by tournament directors to not call IPs:

Not by the TD directly, but I've been told by assignors and UICs to "let it go" at some tournaments - mostly showcase style tournaments. That's always coupled with "if it's egregious, speak with the coach and pitcher and tell them what you saw." At that point, I'm not inclined to be the pitching coach. I'm told to ignore IPs, so I ignore IPs. I've never had an offensive coach at one of these come and say, "Blue she's illegal, can you watch her?" because everyone knows the deal.

When not otherwise directed as above, I call them all the time. I called one in a 12U tournament as PU on the first pitch of the 8 AM game. The coach gave that "really?" look at me even when I explained it then he just shook his head and we got back to work. He clearly didn't want IPs called on his own pitcher, but seemed more upset with her for making a dumb timing mistake rather than with me for calling it. I didn't see any more as PU the test of the day and called maybe 3 as BU.

IPs happen and should be called when they do. Reading some of the threads on here, it sounds like some of the opposing pitchers are never legal and the umpires are either blind, apathetic or both.

And, if this rule modification is going to be the "will we or won't we" litmus test on participation in a tournament, as a head coach, I'd ask that question before I wrote my check.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Thanks for sharing ORBlue, none of the others would.

I did, but it seems like a lot of folks on this site either don't read all the posts before they respond or, if they do, they just ignore anything that doesn't fit into their preconceived notions.

Yes, the TD should not have the ability to change rule sets. Rules is rules.

Have you ever played in a league or tournament where:

You bat the entire roster?

There is free substitution?

The last out is used as the courtesy runner?

The time limit is anything other than 1:40 finish the inning?

They use less than five warm-up pitches between innings?

It's a forfeit for playing short-handed?

The home team was determined by anything other than a coin flip?

Uniforms had to perfectly match, including undershirts and sliders?

The pitcher could get a new ball anytime she asks for one?

These are all "by the book" rules for various sanctioning bodies. If "rules are rules" then maybe you should start boycotting any games that employ these exceptions. Or do you just want the rules that you like enforced and let the other ones slide?

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Bret, you are 100% correct ^^^^^. The only difference is those mods are usually noted in writing BEFORE the tourney. Pitching mods ( IP's )............I've never seen in writing. So why the secrecy?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meganmichelle