How cold is too cold?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
I don't have a number for you but I do believe that is too cold. I grew up in a 'cold' state (WI) and I think some coaches have a tendency to go overboard with 'toughening' their players. Not sure what you gain ?
Welcome to DFP Youngbuck. Just remember I was your first THANKS:D

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
We would gladly take a warm up 35-40 here. It was 5 degrees this morning with a wind chill of -15. Thats a bit too cold for outdoors.

Early April games here are often played in less than 40 degree weather with the occasional snow squall coming through. Its part of the charm of living in the Northeast.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Do what I do in Pa. Park your car close to the field and turn the car heater to hi. That should take the chill off of you. If not I would pack a thermos of hot coco.:p

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Being the old fart that I am (55), with arthritis, anything colder than 70 is too cold for me. I'd love to have it that cold. We're at 40.

Mar 28, 2013
Playing a Tournament this weekend. forecast High 38 with chance of rain on turf so no rain out.Two Propane Blast heaters in the dugout. One for the 12us and one for the bats. YEE HAWW

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Having been through this all before (3 times) I now have the luxury of being able to say "No, GDD will not be there." I sat through enough soccer games in Springfield, IL. to know when it is too cold for softball.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I was just curious because we received an email saying tryouts will be moved to outdoors tomorrow. It will be about 35 degrees out when they start and might reach 40 by the end of the practice. How cold is too cold to safely practice outdoors?

35 today=no practice. 35 a month from today="we better practice".

We don't have a set point. I remember a day last spring that is was probably upper 40s, but there was about a 40mph wind from the north and dizzle. It was our worst day ever.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
And 40° sunny and calm can be a lot different than 40° windy and damp.

Truer words were never spoken. I've had teams play as cold as 32 degrees and in sleet although I had no control over that. For my area, 40 is the standard. If we go out in practice for fly balls etc. we get warmed up in the gym with no coats, hoodies etc. on. Then, put them on and out the door. Not out there longer than 20 minutes. 35 is really sketchy imo.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gcsurfer