How cold is too cold?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Depends on how badly you want or need to practice. When I coached 8U/10U rec, I can remember thinking that anything below 50 was not fun and that we should do it another time. But if I've got a practice that I really think we need, or if I'm holding tryouts for a travel team, and it's getting late and I really need to get it done, then 40+ might do it.

My daughter has played two tournaments that I recall where the temperatures were in the low '30s at some point. In one, they played two early games, including one at 8 a.m., in that weather, but it was high-40s in the afternoon. In the other, just last fall, the temps never got above 35 all day, and it was windy, but they played two afternoon games (plus an ITB as the 'if' game) and there were no real complaints. They were inside or in cars between games. Not something I'd want to do on a regular basis, but it can be done.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
I was just curious because we received an email saying tryouts will be moved to outdoors tomorrow. It will be about 35 degrees out when they start and might reach 40 by the end of the practice. How cold is too cold to safely practice outdoors?

Too cold for a Tryout.

If dresses properly you could run a team practice that with drills where everyone is constantly moving, some warmup breaks, etc.

But to think everyone can equally show their potential at a Tryout in those temps is a little misconceived.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Our try-outs are Monday supposed to get 6'' to 15'' of snow Sun. into Monday. Good thing the balls are yellow! Maybe they will be moved indoors?

Oct 10, 2011
snow

That's or 2nd day and we are in the 6-12" of snow. If you have a b ball team in the playoffs that might cause problems. I think schools will be canceled but indoors is not an option on Monday for us according to our coach.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Our tryouts are Monday. Right now, the forecast for my town is 7 to 12 inches of snow and some ice. I'm not thinking that they are going out.

Oct 10, 2011
tryouts

How many days do you all try out? We do 3 but I'm thinking weather may change that and I personally think 2 days are enough.

Jan 14, 2011
Michigan
I coach at the high school level in Southeastern Michigan. We try to get out if it's above 40 degrees if only to get the girls moving outside (especially if we've spent 2 weeks already indoors. In this kind of weather, we focus on throwing (not pitching) and fielding. Don't use composite bats under 60 degrees - some manufacturers won't honor the warranty. Use non-composite bats or old composites.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meganmichelle