How much responsibility does a high school coach have in the recruiting process now?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 9, 2021
Curious the differing opinions on how involved a high school coach should be in the recruiting process now? Should the coach be sending colleges information about players he thinks has the potential to play at the next level? Or is this more of a travel ball organizations job at this point because they see college coaches more. Or is it solely on the player/family to reach out to schools and the coach just gives feedback if it is requested by certain colleges. Or is it some combination of all of the above?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Curious the differing opinions on how involved a high school coach should be in the recruiting process now? Should the coach be sending colleges information about players he thinks has the potential to play at the next level? Or is this more of a travel ball organizations job at this point because they see college coaches more. Or is it solely on the player/family to reach out to schools and the coach just gives feedback if it is requested by certain colleges. Or is it some combination of all of the above?

HS coaches for the most part are not part of the recruiting process and would not rely on them. TB coaches have more experience with this. There might be some former college players that are coaching at the HS level that might have some relationships in the college coaching world.

If your DD wants to play at the college it is YOUR job to reach out the colleges on your list.

May 13, 2023
99% player responsibility. Any other helpful assistance towards player's goal is a bonus.
Would not rely on either a high school coach or any organizational coach to be doing this.
Even the best coaches won't be able to put in the amount of time that is generally required for ALL of the players making connections.
Always best for players to make themselves a priority.

Even in situations where a coach has a connection for a player.
The colleges
(in every circumstance I am aware of)
Eventually the colleges want to communicate with the player because they need to get to know them as more than just a ball player.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
There isn't one correct answer. As the parent, you are the one who should oversee the recruiting process. I wouldn't leave it up to either a TB or HS coach although both can give you guidance. Per contacts with college coaches, your DD needs to step up in that regard. Most schools now have a "recruit me" link on their sports-specific websites. Your DD can make available via various technology videos of their abilities. As a parent, I would supervise this. Your DD should also be the one making contact with college coaches.

For the players on my HS team, in the past, I did a lot wrt player recruitment. In fact, most of our players mention that their TB coaches didn't do much at all. I've been at this for a very long time and can name-drop recognized college coaches who will speak for me when talking to various coaches. Often, I make contact via email with a concise but accurate evaluation of the player. If I know the college coach, I might make a phone call as well. Naturally, using your HS coach for help really depends upon their experience.

Mar 26, 2016
It's not on either the high school coach or the travel coach if you depend on them you'll be waiting a long time. It's on the player and family via emails & camps.

The high school coach is a good character reference and it is the job of the travel coach to put your kid in the position to get looks, and be a research - go between based of there relationships. If you leave it to either though you will be disappointed in the outcome.

Sep 9, 2019
We cringed about putting the HS coach's info on recruiting profiles. Can't choose your HS coach.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
In my DD’s recent case, the HS had zero involvement. Travel ball coaches had slightly more than that. As RAD said, this is 99% on the player and their family…and it is definitely a grind.

Nov 9, 2021
Some good feedback on player responsibility so far. Let me come at it from another perspective also.

If you were a new high school coach and had limited connections how could you best help girls that want to be recruited? Or should the high school coach just stay out of it for the most part and direct players and families on how to contact schools.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Some good feedback on player responsibility so far. Let me come at it from another perspective also.

If you were a new high school coach and had limited connections how could you best help girls that want to be recruited? Or should the high school coach just stay out of it for the most part and direct players and families on how to contact schools.

What we have done in the past is to help players make skills videos and provide them with some game clips. Typically, we have one or two parents who video games or get clips for us. You might write a brief email to prospective college coaches giving them the player's name, some brief thoughts on the player, and your contact info if they would like to discuss that player.

I find myself constantly mentioning timelines. Players are so wrapped up in TB, other sports, and academics and find themselves pushing basic recruiting requirements to the back burner. A good start for an inexperienced coach is to introduce themselves to area JUCO coaches. That should be followed up by meeting college coaches at other levels. In our area, we have a lot of JUCO coaches and they are very active in wanting our players. Finally, HS coaches can help emphasize academic requirements for schools in which a player might be interested. When I was a HC in baseball, I purchased ACT disk and had 3 computers in my classroom where players could come during various times in the day to practice and prepare for the ACT test.

Edited to add: More than a few times, I have mentioned to prospective collegiate athletes in the various sports I have coached that they need to sign up with the NCAA Eligibility Center (Formerly the clearinghouse). I am often surprised that athletes don't know to do that. In fact, our counselors used to get upset with me since that was their job to bring that up. LOL

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2017
Western Indiana
HS coaches for the most part are not part of the recruiting process and would not rely on them. TB coaches have more experience with this. There might be some former college players that are coaching at the HS level that might have some relationships in the college coaching world.

If your DD wants to play at the college it is YOUR job to reach out the colleges on your list.
I get a kick out of the HS coaches are useless in this process. (I know this is not a direct quote but we get the meaning, and yes I defend HS coaches.)

My answer, for what it is worth to those open minded enough to read this, every situation is different.

Yes, you have the die hard TB players and that upper level of athlete that is able to go to showcases and the national tournaments to be seen by the college coaches that attend them. Their TB coaches have contacts and can help them make contact with the schools they are interested in.

Then there are the local level travel teams that all their players play HS ball (I know, how dare they waste their time.) Their TB coaches can help BUT their HS coaches can help too. I have personally helped players make contacts with schools that they are interested in and even find others. Some of my best contacts are other HS coaches that have other college contacts.

We also have some athletes in our rural area that are three sport athletes and do not play any TB but want to pursue softball in college. Since they don't have any of the greatest softball coaches in the world, that being TB coaches, I work hard to find them a school that is interested and might be the fright fit.

So, like I said, every situation is different and some HS coaches can help with the process. It never hurts to ask for help. You may find that the HS coach doesn't know what to do but they could surprise you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles