8u pitching practice...how much is too much?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Hi everyone, I practice around 4 to 5 days a week (including 1 day with pitching coach) with my 8 year old daughter. Right now I'm trying to fix one glaring issue which is her ending up in a bowling ball position when she finishes, but other than that we practice her fastball and change-up (horseshoe grip).

We usually go until she says she's tired. This is the point where I say "Ok, 3 batters" I don't say keep going, you're not tired, don't be like that etc. When she's tired, she's tired, so we start to wind down the practice.

My question is, is that okay to do or should I be stopping before that? I definitely don't want to cause any injuries.

She never says anything hurts or anything like that, just that she's tired.

We usually go 30 minutes or so. Sometimes it's a bit longer if she isn't tired. I don't really count how many pitches she throws, maybe I should?

We always start pitching practice consistently:

1. Wrist snaps
2. T position
3. K position
4. All fastballs, aim for my glove placement
5. All changeups, this is a new pitch for her so I just have her throw down the middle
6. Tired stage - 3 batters. 1st batter all fastball, aim for my glove position. 2nd batter all changeup, down the middle. 3rd batter mix of both pitches.

Sometimes she'll "strike" 2 batters out and say she wants to keep going so she'll go another 2 batters. Other times she'll be good with just 3 batters.

I also tried incorporating batting practice into the net in between "innings" but this just seemed to much for her as she got tired way more quickly...also not sure what to do about that since she loves pitching and I think we're taking away batting time. Not sure if 2 practices per week for everything else is fine since we don't pitch during team practice.

Any suggestions are very welcome. Thanks!

Jan 22, 2011
30 minutes 4 times a week and pitching into a net while concentrating on form is good advice. The important thing is keeping it fun. You'll get pushback on wrist snaps :). I found an article where @Hillhouse is quoted:
View attachment 29288

Yeah I saw a problem with the hello elbow when she first started pitching. The ball would just go into the air. I told our new coach about it and she doesn't force a hello elbow (our old coach did).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles