Gorilla Gold

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2008
Like I said, I don't really know anything about the actual products themselves, just what they directed us with in clinics. So for that regard, I won't proclaim to be an expert. I can just share what I was taught.

You're looking past the obvious on the bat analogy. Just because the Double-Shaken Martini XXL Spectre Bam-Bam Deluxe (now available in hot pink or Batman Black) is listed on a legal bat registry does not make the specific bat in your hand legal. The bat could be altered, damaged, etc. in which case it isn't legal.

I believe that is why you won't find anything in the rulebook that says "Monkey Magic towels are legal." It isn't about the product itself, it's about the effect it has. If the rule said Monkey Magic towels are legal, I'll just load up another substance on this towel that says Monkey Magic on it. The NCAA interpretation (not a rule) is based on the idea that it isn't expressly illegal, so it is legal as long as there is no substance transferring to the ball. There is a questionable part since the rule specifically talks about drying agents and Gorilla Gold is not a drying agent. Thus, they dropped back to "does it leave anything on the ball?" No? OK.

I could get onto a rant about viewing "interpretations" as rules, but I won't. Essentially the interpretation that said the product was legal in NCAA (though the rule does not). As for USA, I believe as long as you pay them a cut or royalties, you can eventually get just about anything legalized. (Seriously, a bat weight has to be USA approved?)

I have no desire to EVER work men's softball. I have refused several asks to do so. I am not in-tune with that game and all the shenanigans, but I've known enough players to know I don't care to be. Too much "trying to be smarter than the game" for me.

Powder vs. rock ... powder poofs. Rock doesn't. Rocks bang together, powder doesn't. Powder does not transfer to the ball. Rock tackiness will. Checking the bag? We were instructed to in clinic. Will we? Eh. At the high school and below levels, we are handling the game balls often enough that we can monitor them for substances on them.
Either way, it'd be nice if they would just say it's legal or illegal one way or the other. This crap about it being up to the umpire is silly. As I've said, there are still umpires who believe in calling pitchers illegal for not "presenting the ball". I wish the organizations would make the legality of it clear, and Gorilla Gold would have some kind of seal on the packaging to show it. If they don't wanna make it legal, ok. Then pitchers will go back to the cat and mouse game of trying to hide the need to get something sticky. And usually, umpires won't care unless the other team protests. However, as I stated before, the other team's pitcher(s) are probably doing the same infraction as the opponent so, it's usually best to just remain silent. GG, firm grip, pine tar, spider tact, etc. aside, the ball still has to cross the plate when thrown. Today's hitters get to use composite bats while hitting polycore balls (essentially oversized golfballs), meanwhile pitchers are forced to wear facemasks because of the technology advances the offense has. And I'm sure you all have guessed correctly, yes, I'm biased on this subject. lol. FINALLY they have opened up the pitching rules a bit and the ridiculous 2 feet on the rubber rule has been abolished. That was a great first step to even things out.

Essentially, rock rosin is what it states: rocks. But there is still some powder in there. If you poured that powder out next to the powder from the pitcher's rosin, you'd see the rock rosin is more yellow in color and the powder rosin is white. But, again, I've pitched in 2 trillion games at this point in my life and I've never had an umpire check my rosin bag. Nor has any team I've been on complained about the other team's rosin bag. I stand by what I said before though, if GG is legal then so should rock rosin. So what if it "transfers to the ball"? Once the ball is hit, rolls in the infield dirt, whatever stick was on is now gone. Again, the difference between GG or Rock Rosin vs. something like pine tar is, pine tar will discolor the ball. The other items do not.

The ISC is an organization that is for male fastpitch only. There's no girls or women's divisions. There used to be some boy's divisions but, these days they struggle to fill their men's championship tournament. Trying to put a boy's division together today is becoming more and more difficult. Fewer and fewer kids are playing fastpitch softball. Fewer and fewer are playing sports (ANY sport) in general!. But the ISC was the last organization to use white balls. It's either this year or next that they will use the optic yellow ball for the first time ever. The official ball for ISC is the Worth Kmaster. Worth finally told the ISC they won't be making any more white balls because it's simply not worth their time to make white balls for such a small demographic, men's fastpitch who's numbers are declining more and more annually. Anyway, pine tar was very very obvious on a white ball. I'm sure it's that way on a yellow ball too but, umpires would routinely throw out balls that became too dark. I cannot recall a pitcher ever being penalized for using anything sticky and blackening the ball. they would just throw the ball out of the game and bring in another. Usually umpires will call out one of the pitchers of the team that is batting and ask them to prepare the new ball, meaning they want the shine and slickness to be removed from the brand new ball before it's put into the game. Nobody wants to pitch with a brand new ball straight out of the box.

You entered facts that weren't into evidence TMIB!!! Of course a bat on the approved list that is altered, damaged, or anything would be illegal. No question about it. I was surprised at my first college game when I was on staff that the bats are checked individually. That's not something I have seen done regularly in many places. Either that or I just never paid much attention to it. While I considered myself a decent hitter in my career, the team manager(s) usually felt different about that. So I usually didn't have a bat to be inspected anyway. lol

May 29, 2015
Either way, it'd be nice if they would just say it's legal or illegal one way or the other. This crap about it being up to the umpire is silly.

You entered facts that weren't into evidence TMIB!!! Of course a bat on the approved list that is altered, damaged, or anything would be illegal. No question about it.

I support that first statement 1000% because the things they push off on us are stupid things that they won't provide guidance on.

Jewelry is now legal UNLESS I deem it dangerous ... but what is dangerous? No guidance on that. If I deem it is made from an inferior, cheaply produced metal that could cause an infection or blood poisoning, does that qualify as dangerous? What if I feel a nose piercing is the gateway to rock-n-roll, drug use, and teenage pregnancy? That sounds pretty dangerous. Maybe before the game, I notice a murder of crows circling the field and I am concerned they may dive down and try to take the shiny things they see? That could be dangerous, just ask Tippi Hedren.

The facts were there all along, you just didn't see them! 🤷‍♂️ 😋 I said just because your bat's name is listed on a legal bat list doesn't mean your bat is legal. That is a potential issue with declaring a specific product (as opposed to a class of products) legal ... how do I know that is actually what is on your towel? Trust me, I am sure organizations would LOVE to charge companies like Gorilla Gold "a small fee" to slap the org's logo on the package.

May 16, 2016
You will never be able to crush rock rosin enough to be "powdered".

That's incorrect. Five minutes or less inside a sock hitting it with a hammer on a hard surface.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
You can crush rock rosin, sure. But that doesn't make it "legal"
  • Rosin powder is a combination of pine resin and magnesium carbonate powder that absorbs perspiration and enables pitchers to keep their throwing hands free of sweat.
If you DD is pitching, and you want her to be legal, you need to buy "Powdered Rosin".

This is my DDs favorite Powdered Rosin Bag.

Hot Glove Extra Large Rosin Bag

1681246783602.png

Be careful, because Hot Glove sells a similar looking "Rock Rosin" bag.
1681246734062.png

Yes, if your Rosin Bag gets wet, the powder will solidify, and it will no longer puff. When this happens, it's time for a new rosin bag. I have two pitchers, so I buy them by the dozen, and always keep a couple of extra in my tournament bag.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2022
You will never be able to crush rock rosin enough to be "powdered".

That's incorrect. Five minutes or less inside a sock hitting it with a hammer on a hard surface.

I did this when my wife accidentally bought a rock rosin bag on Amazon. Took less than 5 minutes with a small metal mallet and flipping it around between hits and it was pure powder! The rules states powdered rosin which is what it was and it threw big poofs of powder every time she flipped it in her hand- used it until it wore out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 13, 2017
I did this when my wife accidentally bought a rock rosin bag on Amazon. Took less than 5 minutes with a small metal mallet and flipping it around between hits and it was pure powder! The rules states powdered rosin which is what it was and it threw big poofs of powder every time she flipped it in her hand- used it until it wore out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes....sometimes we would mix a couple pieces of chalk in with the rock rosin.

Aug 25, 2019
Just got this from our rules interpreter:

GORILLA GOLD: This towel has been an approved drying agent going on two decades.
However, the manufacturer has added additional products to its line. The original (usually
yellow) “all sport” towel is permitted. The “enhanced” or “golf” one (usually white) is not
permitted. The reason one is permitted and one is not is the level of tackiness. Simply put, one
primarily stays on the hand without transfer while the other is so tacky that it actually
transfers on to the ball. Admittedly, this is not the easiest issue to regulate. It’s similar to
trying to regulate powder resin (legal) and rock resin (illegal). The easiest tell is whether the
dirt/clay starts to adhere to the ball or discolor the ball. If it does, it is highly likely that the
drying agent is illegal. This isn’t determinative, but it is a useful guide. As an aside, remember
that dirt is not a foreign substance regardless of the playing field surface. There is no need to
wipe it off, as opposed to the NCAA requirement.

Jul 31, 2019
Just a curious question for those that have used GG. What prevents the pitcher from adding pine tar or another tacky substance to the GG towel?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles