College rule about getting hit by pitch that is over the plate?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The NCAA Rule for 2024:

11.13 Hit Batter (by Pitch)

11.13.1 A batter is awarded first base when a pitch, neither swung at nor called a strike, is entirely within the batter’s box and it strikes the batter or their clothing. No attempt to avoid being hit by the pitch is required; however, the batter may not obviously try to get hit by the pitch. (See Rule 11.13.23.1)

11.13.2 A batter is awarded first base when a pitch neither swung at nor called a strike touches any part of the batter or their clothing while they are in the
batter’s box, except as noted in Rule 11.13.3 that follows.

EFFECT (11.13.1 and 11.13.2)—The ball is dead. The batter is entitled to first base without liability to be put out. Base runners may not advance unless forced.
Notes:
1. It does not matter if the ball strikes the ground before hitting the batter.
2. The batter’s hands are not considered part of the bat.
3. If a batter swings and the ball hits their hands sending it into fair or foul territory, the ball is dead and a strike is called on the batter. If it is strike three, the batter is out.

11.13.3 The hit batter shall not be awarded first base under the following circumstances:

11.13.3.1 The batter made no attempt to avoid the pitch (which is not entirely in the batter’s box) or they obviously tried to get hit by the pitch (regardless of its location).
EFFECT—The ball is dead. The pitch is a ball or strike (depending on its location), and the batter remains at bat, except the batter is declared out if the pitch was a third strike or the batter is awarded first base if the pitch was “Ball four.” Base runners advance if forced.
Note: The benefit of any doubt must go to the batter and could include a batter freezing and unable to move due to the unusual movement or speed of the pitch.

11.13.3.2 The batter is hit by a pitch in the strike zone or by a pitch that does not reach the plate but would have been in the strike zone had it not hit the batter.
EFFECT—The ball is dead. The pitch is a strike. The batter is declared out if the pitch was a third strike; otherwise, they remain at bat. Each base runner must return to the base legally occupied at the time of the pitch.

11.13.3.3 The pitch touches any part of the batter, including their hands or clothing, as they swing and miss for a third strike.
EFFECT—The ball is dead. The batter is declared out, and each base runner must return to the base legally occupied at the time of the pitch.

11.13.3.4 The batter is hit by a pitch that has not yet reached the front line of the batter’s box, and is not judged as having been able to enter the strike zone, assuming they did not swing or attempt to bunt.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2021
2539885d3e6c39ed2f1a3b1d0a3e4081.png

Here is the second pitch in a row that hit her. This grazed her elbow. Feet aren’t in the box and it clearly looks like a strike.

Here is the full video go to about the 32 minute mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 29, 2015
To be fair, I did say legally. Seems weird they make it a paid document on their site (at first, it kind of looked like they wanted you to pay for the physical copy, which would make more sense than paywalling it completely.).

NFHS still not only bucks the trend of making rulebooks easier to access, but actively works to make them difficult to access.

I pay money for my license every year and STILL only receive one free rulebook EVERY OTHER YEAR. (Granted, that is on the state associations to make that choice, not NFHS.) In odd years I have to pay $10 for a copy.

Oh, and we want to make sure you know these rules inside and out, so you NEED to BUY a casebook also (another $10). And you should have the Umpire's Manual, also. Also another $10.
So . . . softball $10x3, baseball $10x3, and volleyball $10x3. No wonder your officials don't read the books.

That's OK, I'll just go online and . . . Oh. No.

In 2020, NFHS stopped producing easy to access online copies which could be purchased for Kindle or e-readers. Instead, they want you to pay a subscription cost to their app to RENT the book for the season. No, you cannot even purchase it as they delete your access after the year. And no, it isn't any cheaper.

And no, we aren't giving you online access when you purchase the physical copy. So . . . ((softball $10x3) + (baseball $10x3) + (volleyball $10x3)) x 2 . . . if I want both.

They have also raised the price to $10 per book (I believe it was $6 when I first started).

NCAA, USSSA, Major League Baseball, and even USA Softball (which used to be the worst) have all made their rulebooks available for free as .pdfs. Not NFHS though. Got to keep milking that cash cow.

No, I have no problem if you rip off a copy. They rip their officials off at every chance they can.

Jan 22, 2011
@The Man In Blue I’m on the NFHS website right now. For softball they want:
Umpire Manual $21.95
Rule book: $12
Case book: $12
Shipping: $16.95

I spent the $124 to join NASO, so I can get all three for about $43 instead of $62.90.
NFHS also wants to charge $60 for a copy of the rule changes PowerPoint and I haven’t figured out what it will cost me to get an electronic copy of the rulebook.

And folks wonder why there is a shortage of high school officials and/or officials don’t know the rules.

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
I'm even further behind than I thought!

Like I said, the electronic copy can only be rented through their app. But the app is free! ;)

(I got back on to poke around . . . I can't even figure out how to get the books onto the app . . . either app.)

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
@The Man In Blue I’m on the NFHS website right now. For softball they want:
Umpire Manual $21.95
Rule book: $12
Case book: $12
Shipping: $16.95

I spent the $124 to join NASO, so I can get all three for about $43 instead of $62.90.
NFHS also wants to charge $60 for a copy of the rule changes PowerPoint and I haven’t figured out what it will cost me to get an electronic copy of the rulebook.

And folks wonder why there is a shortage of high school officials and/or officials don’t know the rules.
Several years ago I was collecting my $45 game fee for a JV high school game and the coach made some smart rear comment about maybe she should be an umpire if it was that easy to make $45. I said ya, well put this one with about 15 more and it will just about cover my uniforms, equipment, association fees, rule books etc. She looked at me and said you have to buy your own uniforms? Duh.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas

Here is the second pitch in a row that hit her. This grazed her elbow. Feet aren’t in the box and it clearly looks like a strike.

Correct call. Her elbow is outside of batter's box.

May 13, 2023

I like the umpire paying attention to the placement of the batter. What the batter is doing IS disturbing the zone area. Can be difficult to see that and call the pitch at the same time but do think there was a strike in there that was missed.

What I get from this video is

I'm calling out Stanford as being CHEESY!! Yep!

The batter and include the coach if supports doing that.
I will throw in the possibility that from the dugouts the coaches couldn't actually see but... do not think they are completely oblivious So to that I respond this....

To the Stanford Softball Program,
Review your game video and clean it up!!!
I understand the goal of wanting to win & get to the college world series.
Do it with respect for the game!
Cheesy has no honor for the game!
Clean it up!

Last edited:
May 13, 2023
Now want to bring this up to the other dfp'ers and umpires. If you were the coach of Tennessee and you were thinking that Stanford's players are disrupting the strike zone area... what would be your approach (if any) to the umpires about the situation?

It's an unfortunate situation for the offense because there's the disruption of what the Batters are doing that creates Umpire not being able to view the pitch all the way and get an accurate call on it. While at the same time the batter gets to stay in the Box to complete their at-bat ...
➡️What you going to do?Screenshot_20240218-062942_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
It really did not take a rocket scientist to figure out when they changed this rule batters were going to start crowding the plate and standing like statues. Batters crowd the plate far more now than they did before. It would really help if umpires would actually call the rule correctly rather than treating it as a free pass to first.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles