Gorilla Gold

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 5, 2022
Ky v Georgia today the umpire removed a gorilla gold towel from the KY pitcher. Coach Lawson talked to the umpires for a long time initially and then later even brought the rule book to the plate. I was waiting for her to get tossed with the rule book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 13, 2021
Ky v Georgia today the umpire removed a gorilla gold towel from the KY pitcher. Coach Lawson talked to the umpires for a long time initially and then later even brought the rule book to the plate. I was waiting for her to get tossed with the rule book.

Did the talking and the rule book do any good.

Aug 5, 2022
Did the talking and the rule book do any good.

Of course not lol. The quote was given to the announcing crew that the towel is legal but it’s up to the umpire if she gets to use it which seems really bizarre to me. I am under the impression that the towel is legal so I’m not sure how the umpire gets to decide you can’t use a legal item.

May 13, 2021
Of course not lol. The quote was given to the announcing crew that the towel is legal but it’s up to the umpire if she gets to use it which seems really bizarre to me. I am under the impression that the towel is legal so I’m not sure how the umpire gets to decide you can’t use a legal item.

That seems like a stupid explanation.

Feb 7, 2014
I won't hold my breath, but it would be a professional move by the SEC to explain why the rules don't apply :D

May 29, 2015
I cannot say, and I cannot speak for the SEC ... this is just TMIB's speculation ...

At a recent clinic I was at, they discussed substances on the ball. It was explained to us that Gorilla Gold is NOT a drying agent, but organizations were allowing it because it (supposedly) does not leave a substance on the pitcher's hand (and thus the ball) ... HOWEVER ...

We also discussed the difference between rock rosin (illegal) and powder rosin (legal). Essentially, the difference (we were told) is that rock rosin is a sticky substance and leaves a residue on the ball.

IF the substance on the towel was sticky and leaving a residue on the ball or pitcher's hand, it is illegal no matter what the name is on it.

For what it is worth, the NCAA rules do not specify Gorilla Gold is legal. From what I can find, a case play (interpretation) has stated it is not illegal in and of itself. Here is what the rule says:

10.13 Substance on the Ball/Items on Pitcher
10.13.1 Under the supervision and within view of the umpire, a resin (a drying agent) may be used on the pitcher’s hand/fingers. Any substance (including resin, dirt or saliva) applied to the pitcher’s hands and fingers must be wiped off if it would transfer to the ball.

The penalty is actually to call an illegal pitch and issue a warning to the pitcher for the first violation. Did anybody notice if they added a ball to the count?

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2022
I cannot say, and I cannot speak for the SEC ... this is just TMIB's speculation ...

At a recent clinic I was at, they discussed substances on the ball. It was explained to us that Gorilla Gold is NOT a drying agent, but organizations were allowing it because it (supposedly) does not leave a substance on the pitcher's hand (and thus the ball) ... HOWEVER ...

We also discussed the difference between rock rosin (illegal) and powder rosin (legal). Essentially, the difference (we were told) is that rock rosin is a sticky substance and leaves a residue on the ball.

IF the substance on the towel was sticky and leaving a residue on the ball or pitcher's hand, it is illegal no matter what the name is on it.

For what it is worth, the NCAA rules do not specify Gorilla Gold is legal. From what I can find, a case play (interpretation) has stated it is not illegal in and of itself. Here is what the rule says:

10.13 Substance on the Ball/Items on Pitcher
10.13.1 Under the supervision and within view of the umpire, a resin (a drying agent) may be used on the pitcher’s hand/fingers. Any substance (including resin, dirt or saliva) applied to the pitcher’s hands and fingers must be wiped off if it would transfer to the ball.

The penalty is actually to call an illegal pitch and issue a warning to the pitcher for the first violation. Did anybody notice if they added a ball to the count?

Thank you for your explanation. This is one I could at least make a case for the umpire deciding it was too sticky or something like that. I did not notice if the count was adjusted

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
The Virginia versus VA Tech game sees the VA Tech pitcher using a large pad of Gorilla Gold hanging out of her back pocket.

Aug 21, 2008
I just got told recently about GG being up to the umpire's discretion in college. That has to be the absolute dumbest thing I ever heard of. I didn't believe it. Then someone sent it to me in print.

Gorilla Gold used to post on their website all the organizations and alphabet soups (USA, PGF, NSA, ISC, USSSA, etc) that allow GG to be used. I'm pretty sure ASA/USA has it in their rulebook, or they did at one point.

I've wondered about why GG was legal but rock rosin was still illegal. Neither one discolor the ball. Pine Tar, firm grip, and other substances that aren't legal will turn the ball black when it's transferred from fingers. And it makes no sense to allow GG but not rock rosin.

I have told the story before about "knowing someone" who would cut open the powder rosin baggie, pour it out, dump rock rosin in the empty powder rosin bag, re-sew it and presto... nobody knew. Truth be told, none of the players would really care. Umpires seemed to care more than the players did.

Dec 11, 2010
The Virginia versus VA Tech game sees the VA Tech pitcher using a large pad of Gorilla Gold hanging out of her back pocket.
I see it all the time.

There is one Hokie that DD’s team calls Sticky or Sticky Bun. What she leaves on the ball isn’t Gorilla Gold.
I have told the story before about "knowing someone" who would cut open the powder rosin baggie, pour it out, dump rock rosin in the empty powder rosin bag, re-sew it and presto... nobody knew. Truth be told, none of the players would really care. Umpires seemed to care more than the players did.
Doug Gillis?

Wait, don’t answer that, lol!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28