College rule about getting hit by pitch that is over the plate?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 9, 2021
Watching the Tennessee game vs Stanford and it looked like the ump correctly didn’t award the base to the batter. But both times the pitches were given as balls. They looked like strikes if not hit by the batter.

Is it the umpires discretion to rule ball or strike when a base isn’t awarded. If it is automatically a ball what stops a batter from Intentionally getting hit by strikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 22, 2008
Apparently the umpire did not feel they were going to be strikes. It's only a strike if the batter gets hit with a ball that is in the strike zone or the prevent the ball from entering the strike zone.

Jun 22, 2008
If it wasn't in the strike zone then why wasn't she awarded 1st base?
Because a batter shouldn't be hit by a ball that is over or very near the plate. The ball can be over the plate and not be a strike. The batter being hit by a pitch is not an automatic free base. Contrary to popular belief, if the ball is not ENTIRELY within the batters box the batter is still required to make an attempt to avoid being hit or they should not be awarded first.

Jun 29, 2023
I really need to read a rule book. We had multiple games last year where the strategy was to get hit. One time, a pinch hitter all body armored up.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Watching the Tennessee game vs Stanford and it looked like the ump correctly didn’t award the base to the batter. But both times the pitches were given as balls. They looked like strikes if not hit by the batter.

Is it the umpires discretion to rule ball or strike when a base isn’t awarded. If it is automatically a ball what stops a batter from Intentionally getting hit by strikes.
It is up to the umpire to decide if it was going to be a ball or strike and call it the same as if the batter hadn't been hit. I didn't see the game, so all I have to say is that as described, the umpire thought it was going to be a ball. (this assumes the ball wasn't completely in the batters box and the batter didn't make an attempt to avoid).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles