ranting again

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 9, 2021
I got a little frustrated with an ump in high school that had good intentions but was making up his own rule. (He is a good ump and guy, we just disagreed on this subject). He had his own interpretation of what he wanted to see when it came to pausing on the mound and simulating taking a sign from the catcher. He called time in the second inning to tell my pitcher he would prefer her to nod her head to acknowledge she was taking a sign. That way he had a visual clue she was following the rule. I was frustrated because she was in a groove and I didn’t need him giving her anything else to think about.

She was pausing and actually taking a sign from the catcher. I verified with him she was pausing and he agreed. But he still stated he would prefer she nods as well. I politely told him I can’t have my pitcher adjusting every game to try to please every particular umpire. He still stated that was his interpretation and she should nod. Neither of us were real happy with the other one. She probably nodded for two pitches and did not nod anymore. But he never called anything on her either. Just seemed odd to go out and talk to a pitcher about something that isn’t an actual rule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
Thank you for providing first-hand examples of the issue.

Things like this are why I am on the verge of issuing contracts to people who contract me for my services. 99% of what we do is a verbal agreement passed along via a game of telephone.
I wish I could be so helpful, but, unfortunately, having never explained the details of our tournament clearly that's impossible and I've left you to make assumptions.

May 29, 2015
Am I more shocked or angered when sports officials can't do their job??

Players, families, coaches are putting in countless hours and dollars into playing their sport. There has to be a way to deal with rogue officials. To have one person with the arrogance and power to ruin a game or weekend is just unacceptable.

There have been places and agencies with rules that include "No Protests Allowed".

… and those players, coaches, and families don’t come any closer to getting it right either.

Don’t get me wrong, I am with you when it comes to umpires who just don’t care or just don’t care to try. But to hold those up as your standard to measure against? Eeesh.

May 29, 2015
I wish I could be so helpful, but, unfortunately, having never explained the details of our tournament clearly that's impossible and I've left you to make assumptions.
That's what 85% of this forum is. ;) And 99% of the internet.

No, you illustrated my point perfectly. That wasn't a dig at you, it was a dig at the system.

Here is how it usually works on my end (other umpires can weigh in on their experience) ...

• I get an e-mail from Assignor Al that Jim-Bob is looking for umpires for a tournament in 2 weeks. It might have a sanction attached to it. Sometimes the e-mail might come from Jim-Bob himself.
  • I respond to said e-mail and say I am available and interested. I get a message back that usually says what the pay is and maybe an expectation for how many games. I rarely get a message saying how they are paying, so I have to send another message. I usually have to follow that up with another message about hotel accommodations (if I am traveling).
  • A few days before the tournament I receive a schedule that says it is half-done and they are still looking for umpires. I may need to send another message reminding Assignor Al and Jim-Bob that I will not accept solo assignments.
  • The night before the tournament I usually get an e-mail with a schedule. If I am lucky, it has contact info for all the other umpires working (so I can contact my partner in advance). Typically that e-mail says, "I am still trying to get the rules from Jim-Bob. I won't be there this weekend. -- Assignor Al"
  • The day of the tournament, Jim-Bob is running around because he didn't get enough game balls, two teams haven't turned in their fees, his team is frothing at the mouth and had to be locked in the batting cage because somebody fed them Giant Pixie Stix for breakfast, two umpires haven't shown up yet, his wife is calling because the donut shop lost their order, and four parents are causing a ruckus at the gate because they don't want to pay admission and are claiming they are team personnel needed to do the girls' hair so they look good for the college scouts.
  • Assignor Al is either working another tournament or out of town at a wedding. Nobody is running the umpires.
  • Fields 1 through 4 are running pretty smooth, but field 5 is using the wrong rules, and field 6 somehow started playing backgammon. The umpires on Field 7 decided they were wearing pink shirts and kilts. The umpires on field 8 are cats. Literal cats.
Yes, I am being somewhat hyperbolic, but the realities happen FAR TOO OFTEN.

Too many tournaments run under the famed adage, "If you build it, they will come."

It is no wonder the umpiring is a shambles when people won't/don't pony up to make sure it is done right. People want to harp and complain about the on-the-field result, but they don't want to make sure the preparation is done properly.

Jul 27, 2021
That's what 85% of this forum is. ;) And 99% of the internet.

No, you illustrated my point perfectly. That wasn't a dig at you, it was a dig at the system.

Here is how it usually works on my end (other umpires can weigh in on their experience) ...

• I get an e-mail from Assignor Al that Jim-Bob is looking for umpires for a tournament in 2 weeks. It might have a sanction attached to it. Sometimes the e-mail might come from Jim-Bob himself.
  • I respond to said e-mail and say I am available and interested. I get a message back that usually says what the pay is and maybe an expectation for how many games. I rarely get a message saying how they are paying, so I have to send another message. I usually have to follow that up with another message about hotel accommodations (if I am traveling).
  • A few days before the tournament I receive a schedule that says it is half-done and they are still looking for umpires. I may need to send another message reminding Assignor Al and Jim-Bob that I will not accept solo assignments.
  • The night before the tournament I usually get an e-mail with a schedule. If I am lucky, it has contact info for all the other umpires working (so I can contact my partner in advance). Typically that e-mail says, "I am still trying to get the rules from Jim-Bob. I won't be there this weekend. -- Assignor Al"
  • The day of the tournament, Jim-Bob is running around because he didn't get enough game balls, two teams haven't turned in their fees, his team is frothing at the mouth and had to be locked in the batting cage because somebody fed them Giant Pixie Stix for breakfast, two umpires haven't shown up yet, his wife is calling because the donut shop lost their order, and four parents are causing a ruckus at the gate because they don't want to pay admission and are claiming they are team personnel needed to do the girls' hair so they look good for the college scouts.
  • Assignor Al is either working another tournament or out of town at a wedding. Nobody is running the umpires.
  • Fields 1 through 4 are running pretty smooth, but field 5 is using the wrong rules, and field 6 somehow started playing backgammon. The umpires on Field 7 decided they were wearing pink shirts and kilts. The umpires on field 8 are cats. Literal cats.
Yes, I am being somewhat hyperbolic, but the realities happen FAR TOO OFTEN.

Too many tournaments run under the famed adage, "If you build it, they will come."

It is no wonder the umpiring is a shambles when people won't/don't pony up to make sure it is done right. People want to harp and complain about the on-the-field result, but they don't want to make sure the preparation is done properly.
I totally believe very word. A "Like" wasn't going to cover my approval.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas

At this point, I don't know how they can get anyone to umpire. The abuse refs and umpires take is too much.

May 21, 2018
At this point, I don't know how they can get anyone to umpire. The abuse refs and umpires take is too much.
I keep reading this, but at least in small town southern Illinois, it is nothing compared to what it was when I was growing up. Keep in mind the coaches were generally smoking darts and enjoying a cooler full of beer during the game (summer ball not school).

Edit: that sounded like I was defending umpire abuse. I'm not, just adding a different perspective from growing up in the middle of nowhere. We also had bleacher clearing brawls after basketball games and 2 weeks later everybody would be laughing about it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles