Crazy situation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2022
If all players touch home it’s a home run. Don’t need a rule to tell me that.

There’s a lot of BS that goes on in this game that needs to be replaced with common sense.

And low class teams with noisemakers and beating on buckets are the worst.

Beating on buckets is illegal - can't use noisemakers in the dugout.

What I found annoying is one girl on one team that made a sound like a siren the whole time we were batting...

Dec 11, 2010
Not sure exactly what you mean, but infer you mean that it isn't really freelancing to ignore this rule because it didn't really interfere with play. But then you have to ask yourself how many 'judgement' calls can an umpire ignore?
- What if the runner hits a home run and misses a base
- runner at first leaves early (not stealing) and then a Home Run is hit.
- runner rounds first and looks at the pitcher for 2 sec while P has the ball with no one on.
You could argue that all these don't affect safe/fair play, but they are illegal. Which ones should we simply say aren't really affecting the game and play on?

Now, if you weren't inferring that - please ignore my post.
What I think you are saying is that umpires can’t be trusted to make decisions. I guess I agree based on the bs I see umpires do and say.

So why didn’t the Wise All Knowing Umpire make the call on his own?

Did he not know the rule?

Did he not see it?

Did he think perhaps it was completely unimportant and stupid to call back a home run based on a stupid rule that is not paid attention to when boys hit home runs?

Or was he completely spineless when a pathetic loser of a coach comes out and manipulates the umpire into a call that has no purpose other than to benefit the whiny coach and his bigmouth parents?

Trash coach. Trash umpire. Trash parents.

Do the right thing. Play the game. Quit playing “gotcha”.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
During the 1st game of the series, there was an opposing fan-lone college kid jeering at our players the entire game. He never even cheered for his own team. He brought an air horn and started blasting it while the pitch crossed the plate. Umpire did nothing. After the inning is over our HC had to say something to the umpire, and only then he talked to the other coach. It put a stop to it. Of course the other team's parents said nothing. If that happened with one of my fans, I would have immediately put a stop to it. Nothing wrong with artificial noisemakers...between plays. Although very annoying.

I saw a guy get ejected from a college game this weekend. I don't know if the umpire had anything to do with it, but he was yelling all sorts of nonsense and standing near the ESPN broadcaster while he did it. Someone with an air horn wouldn't last 30 seconds.

May 27, 2022
What I think you are saying is that umpires can’t be trusted to make decisions. I guess I agree based on the bs I see umpires do and say.

So why didn’t the Wise All Knowing Umpire make the call on his own?

Did he not know the rule?

Did he not see it?

Did he think perhaps it was completely unimportant and stupid to call back a home run based on a stupid rule that is not paid attention to when boys hit home runs?

Or was he completely spineless when a pathetic loser of a coach comes out and manipulates the umpire into a call that has no purpose other than to benefit the whiny coach and his bigmouth parents?

Trash coach. Trash umpire. Trash parents.

Do the right thing. Play the game. Quit playing “gotcha”.

I get your vibe, although I am not quite sure if you are mad at the rule, the coach, the parents, the umpire, that specific situation or all of the above.

Kind of reminds me of a conversation I had with another Dad around utilizing players not registered on the roster. He said the same thing - why do parents have to get involved, just play the game.

Until I pointed out that one team in our tournament brought in 4 'ringers' from a national team on bracket day (not in pool play) to try to get first place in a qualifier tournament. Then he wasn't against 'the other team' bringing it up to the umpire/director. Just play the game, right?

We all have our limits of what is appropriate. Unfortunately, a lot like politics, it usually depends on how it affects your team.

Aug 25, 2019
Honestly if the other team hits one out and all the players do cartwheels across the infield I'm fine with it.

The ball was clearly a home run. The runs score. Oh no she stepped on the field, cancel the Home Run? Yikes. That's embarassing.
Right! If a player hits a over the fence homer, its a dead ball, so i team
What the heck code is this? COVID-19 home run waiver? 12.17.3.4.2

giphy.gif

;)
I was thinking the same thing. Now, a over the fence homerun is a dead ball, so if the whole team ran out on the field and ran the bases with the hitter, as an umpire, I'm not really sure what rule this would violate. Maybe a warning for unsporting behavior?

Last edited:
May 27, 2022
Right! If a player hits a over the fence homer, its a dead ball, so i team
I was thinking the same thing. Now, a over the fence homerun is a dead ball, so if the whole team ran out on the field and ran the bases with the hitter, as an umpire, I'm not really sure what rule this would violate. Maybe a warning for inspiring behavior?
I suspect or assume the rule is a result of : how does the umpire ensure that the runner touches all the bases? You get a gaggle/flock/pod/parliament/den/herd/... of teammates jumping all over, it might be difficult to see the runner's feet hit home plate.

Jul 27, 2021
Honestly if the other team hits one out and all the players do cartwheels across the infield I'm fine with it.

The ball was clearly a home run. The runs score. Oh no she stepped on the field, cancel the Home Run? Yikes. That's embarassing.

I suspect or assume the rule is a result of : how does the umpire ensure that the runner touches all the bases? You get a gaggle/flock/pod/parliament/den/herd/... of teammates jumping all over, it might be difficult to see the runner's feet hit home plate.
There certainly should be less BS instances where the game officials stomp on the good times and let the kids have some fun.

Jul 27, 2021
Personally, I believe after someone hits one over the fence nothing else should matter and that the rule about touching all the bases is one of the dumbest rules in all of sports. After the ball goes over the fence the trot around the bases should be ceremonial and celebratory, nothing else.

I am aware that is not the rule.

But it should be.
I agree with that. Wouldn't be hard to change. Slow pitch already has "on a fair fly ball hit over the fence for a home run, the batter and all base runners are credited with a score".

They can go straight to the dugout if wanted. No need to see old fat guys have a heart attack or waste a minute trotting around the field.

May 27, 2022
There certainly should be less BS instances where the game officials stomp on the good times and let the kids have some fun.
Yeah, like other sports, right?
- Can't spike the football after a touchdown
- Can't hang on the rim in BB
- Can't do a dance after a touchdown
- Can't run onto the field in the middle of a game in other sports or they will penalize you...

But, sure - SB can't be troubled with rules and expectations and such...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802