Yes another Ump gripe.... (look away if ya need to)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 7, 2011
I have seen plenty of ODB hit even standing in the ODC behind the batter. You want safety, just do what LL did and eliminate the ODB.

Ya I'm in this camp now - just never thought about breaking from tradition so much - but all it takes is that one time getting tagged with a liner.....

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
You presented Rule 12 as allowing them to change anything they want in championship play - and it doesn't. Period.

I don't believe I did that, or at least was not meant to appear that way. I talked about Rule 12 when the discussion was about umpires taking instructions from TDs or UICs to ignore or apply certain rules around showcases and other tournaments. However, as I noted, apparently they do it anyway. You need to remember, many of the commissioners are all about registration and participation and pretty much handle that teams which choose to advance beyond their tournament do so at their own risk.

The fact that some commissioners don't enforce the rules is a separate issue and isn't grounds for anyone to do it. It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that there are differences in how associations operate because they vary greatly by size, competition from other sanctions and knowledge/commitment of the people running them.

I'm referring solely to ASA and I agree, some doing it is no excuse. However, just about every sanctioning body has commissioners and directors that shake and move and fudge whatever they can to get the teams, games and tournaments. But you should be aware of the variations local association apply since your area has the infamous Yellow Book. :)

I'm not defending what they do, I don't care at all for it. Again, as I noted, I like the rules. But there isn't much you or I can do about it. The only thing that can be done is not patronize what you don't like.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Well my friends, I got my first official response from a TD on IP's tonight. I'm trying to type while while wiping the tears from my eyes. Lord help us all. This is the EXACT ( caps and all ) response, minus the GIF and contact info.

72290.gif

I AM NO PUTTING UP WITH ANY ILLEGAL PLAYERS IF I NO THEY ARE

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
Well my friends, I got my first official response from a TD on IP's tonight. I'm trying to type while while wiping the tears from my eyes. Lord help us all. This is the EXACT ( caps and all ) response, minus the GIF and contact info.

72290.gif

I AM NO PUTTING UP WITH ANY ILLEGAL PLAYERS IF I NO THEY ARE

Did you then ask him to walk around and look at some of the illegal pitchers?

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Did you then ask him to walk around and look at some of the illegal pitchers?

Comp, I'm not sure asking this guy to do anything but breathe would be wise. Maybe his ability to respond, type and spell shows me what you umps have to deal with. DD and me almost lost our supper on the floor laughing at the TD's response.

Feb 7, 2013
Comp, I'm not sure asking this guy to do anything but breathe would be wise. Maybe his ability to respond, type and spell shows me what you umps have to deal with. DD and me almost lost our supper on the floor laughing at the TD's response.

I love the irony of your post. While you are criticizing him for his lack of typing and spelling skills, your post says "DD and me"'which is grammatically incorrect. One of the things I have learned from this site is that many posters come from different educational backgrounds but have a lot of insight about softball and life that they can share with all of us : )

Dec 7, 2011
I love the irony of your post. While you are criticizing him for his lack of typing and spelling skills, your post says "DD and me"'which is grammatically incorrect. One of the things I have learned from this site is that many posters come from different educational backgrounds but have a lot of insight about softball and life that they can share with all of us : )

I still love mom,....and puppies,.....and apple pie,......

GD I think you just got put on the "RT naughty list" - welcome my friend,....the water is warm! :) .

Mar 2, 2013
I don't know if it is that insane. I can very much see placing an opponent in the general vicinity of the team becoming an issue.

I'm thoroughly confused. You don't except my explanation of the origins of the rule, yet you give examples supporting it.

Hmm...I never said that it happened every inning in every game; but, it certainly happened and certainly resulted in the implementation of a new rule, which restricted ODBs to their own dugout side.

I'm not addressing issues of safety or anything like that. I'm simply addressing why they are restricted to their own side of the field.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face

To my defense, I did admit I was having issues typing while tears of laughter were rolling down my face. My email was rather lengthy questioning the stance on IP's, and I get a one line response that still didn't answer the question.

"I'm trying to type while wiping the tears from my eyes." I'll try to do better in the future.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I'm thoroughly confused. You don't except my explanation of the origins of the rule, yet you give examples supporting it.

Where do I not accept you explanation of the origins of the rule? I simply stated that I don't know if it is insane. What is insane is that rules like this are necessary only because somewhere along the way some moron decided common sense wasn't good enough and challenged anyone authority to do whatever he pleased.

Hmm...I never said that it happened every inning in every game; but, it certainly happened and certainly resulted in the implementation of a new rule, which restricted ODBs to their own dugout side.

I'm not addressing issues of safety or anything like that. I'm simply addressing why they are restricted to their own side of the field.

I know it happens. Teams chatter across the field, so why put someone in the line of fire or a position to taunt even more freely. AFAIC, doing this just places that much more babysitting responsibilities on the umpire crew that would be more of a distraction than anything else.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dothekindthing