Working on the Rise

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
Ben,

Send me a video from the side.
Look up ulnar deviation on google. Think of how she can apply this articulation violently... to work the index finger down the ball... resulting in the appearance of a snap up after release.
Perform that movement with the hand inside the ball, with a widened 2-seam grip (see pauly pics).

Mike

Thanks Java. I sent a vid from the side. Ulnar deviation makes sense and will try to explain it to DD. I tried to find the "Pauly pics" but didnt have any luck. Perhaps someone could direct me to them. Thanks again and look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks Java. I sent a vid from the side. Ulnar deviation makes sense and will try to explain it to DD. I tried to find the "Pauly pics" but didnt have any luck. Perhaps someone could direct me to them. Thanks again and look forward to hearing from you.

I think these may be the riseball grip pics you are looking for. There are many variations of the riseball grip.....the important thing in a grip is that it promotes the spin axis needed.

Basic Riseball Grips.jpgRB Grip Pauly and Mens.jpg

May 18, 2009
How is the work progressing? We are starting ourselves.

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=em-upload_owner&v=D6fC4fyoeRY[/video]

May 12, 2008
Some good posts. Two things to offer. If your current grip isn't getting you backspin, you could try the standard baseball curve spin grip. Secondly, it's more important to have the axis moving perpendicular to flight path than it is to have perfect 6-12 backspin. If your kid can throw half backspin half curve spin (not bullet)/7:30-1:30 spin that is also very effective. Think in terms of moving the ball directly away from the swing plane. Up and out of the top of the zone, yes that would be 6-12 spin. Lower in the zone 7:30-1:30 spin would be moving directly away from the swing plane.

I would add, don't just throw it out of the top of the zone. Throw it to the low corners as well.

May 18, 2009
DD has had a few in practice that look awesome. They have a definite curve up and away. Still working on release point. Sometimes it's to far forward causing counter clockwise bullet spin. Those just keep climbing way out of the zone. When they are 5-11 the tape makes a tight dot on the ball towards the 10oclock position.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles