Rise ball questions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 12, 2015
Never stepped in the box in fastpitch but would the step left be something a batter could pick up early enough to help them?
Sure, if the motion was different enough from a "regular" pitch. Really no different than telegraphing a change-up by slowing the entire body down.

Apr 12, 2015
The question is, why are people on DF so adamant about NOT calling it a screwball. The rest of the known softball world calls it a screwball. It's been almost 15 years since boardmember coined the term IR. Go to anyone outside of DF and they don't know what you are talking about.

BM didn't coin the term internal rotation.

Regardless, I don't think the debate is over what to call the stupid pitch. The debate is over why do you want to spend time learning to step left/throw right as opposed to spending that time learning to spot a low rise on the inside corner.

Personally, I've always thought that step left/throw right screwball is an ok pitch that quickly runs out of usefulness in 16U and beyond.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Regardless, I don't think the debate is over what to call the stupid pitch. The debate is over why do you want to spend time learning to step left/throw right as opposed to spending that time learning to spot a low rise on the inside corner.
There are pitchers/ instructors who do not step left to throw a screw.

Think there is a better debate point in saying a rise/spin can be learned and thrown low or high AND on either side of the plate. More location use.
= use in more situations.

Where a Screwballs spin has more of a limitation to whom in what situation would throw it.

Possibly a good gauge for a pitcher would be to look at their spin rate.
By Trying to produce either a rise or a screwball.
Check out and compare the spin rate.

Because very possibly one pitch is easier to produce more spin with.

Apr 12, 2015
There are pitchers/ instructors who do not step left to throw a screw.
True.

The easiest way to achieve the inside/outside result most of these people are searching for is just experimenting with finger pressure and finger location at release. @riseball has done several posts about this effect over the years. Here is one:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The question is, why are people on DF so adamant about NOT calling it a screwball. The rest of the known softball world calls it a screwball. It's been almost 15 years since boardmember coined the term IR. Go to anyone outside of DF and they don't know what you are talking about.
We have a set of definitions so that we can have a real conversation about pitching. Otherwise, it is just slop.

As to "the rest of the known softball worlds call it a screwball", I beg to differ, sir. Based upon my personal observations, 99% of "rest of the known softball world" don't have a clue what they mean when they talk about pitches.

Jun 8, 2016
Just for my own education, the pitches some are calling screwballs have throwing side movement (away from the initial trajectory of the pitch) due to grip/release correct? Or are we also including pitches which are basically straight but the trajectory is just angled more for whatever reason?

Apr 12, 2015
Just for my own education, the pitches some are calling screwballs have throwing side movement (away from the initial trajectory of the pitch) due to grip/release correct? Or are we also including pitches which are basically straight but the trajectory is just angled more for whatever reason?
Clear as mud, but most likely both. A good, hard throw done with proper mechanics will result in a pitch that tails inward a bit (RHP to RHB) without doing anything else. Some will call this a screwball.

Others are simply changing the angle of attack (the infamous step left/throw right) and will call that a screwball.

Others still can throw a 2-seam and make it "dance" inward a bit and will call that a screwball.

As for a screwball that breaks on the plane akin to a curve ala Littlejohn.....doesn't exist.

sydney_littlejohn_curve2_zpsbhtmhynb.gif

Screwballs get so much crap here because every couple of years someone new pops in thinking they've re-invented the pitch.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
We have a set of definitions so that we can have a real conversation about pitching. Otherwise, it is just slop.

As to "the rest of the known softball worlds call it a screwball", I beg to differ, sir. Based upon my personal observations, 99% of "rest of the known softball world" don't have a clue what they mean when they talk about pitches.
From those standards 😁 I'm glad I knew about pitches before I got to dfp

Jun 8, 2016
Clear as mud, but most likely both. A good, hard throw done with proper mechanics will result in a pitch that tails inward a bit (RHP to RHB) without doing anything else. Some will call this a screwball.

Others are simply changing the angle of attack (the infamous step left/throw right) and will call that a screwball.

Others still can throw a 2-seam and make it "dance" inward a bit and will call that a screwball.

As for a screwball that breaks on the plane akin to a curve ala Littlejohn.....doesn't exist.

sydney_littlejohn_curve2_zpsbhtmhynb.gif

Screwballs get so much crap here because every couple of years someone new pops in thinking they've re-invented the pitch.
So basically any pitch that ends up on the throwing hand side of where it was released..so basically, based upon this standard, it sounds like half the pitches thrown by a pitcher could be called a screwball…😉

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802