Working on the Rise

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
DD has been working on the rise ball for a couple weeks now and still is not getting the "backspin" you hear about or at least partial backspin. It is more bullet spin. Don't get me wrong, it's an effective pitch even without the backspin axis but she is wanting the ball to rotate on the backspin axis. I understand that achieving true 12-6 spin is nearly impossible but would like some input on what she can do to get better. Are there any drills she can do or just thousands of reps? My issue with doing thousands of reps is if the reps aren't correct you are further engraining the wrong mechanics. Thanks in advance.

[video=youtube_share;xBXFLJYfaWo]http://youtu.be/xBXFLJYfaWo[/video]

May 18, 2009
There is a ball in the equipment forum called a perfect rise ball. When my DD is a year or two older I was thinking of giving it a try. Says it will rise with a 30mph throw if the spin axis is right. The ball has opposite colors. Thrown at 12/6 the color will stay side by side.

Aug 18, 2013
Boomers,

Have you tried back chaining like with all the IR drills??

It might be the angle of the camera but it looks like her lower arm could be closer to her thigh. The angle that the arm is coming through could be keeping to much hand under the ball, when she tries to spin it, rather than just the fingers.

Or she might be spinning it just a bit to late.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
....4 things that kill RB spin....
1. Posture is too vertical.
2. The arm rotates (I/R) too early.
3. The release point should be on the back half of the thigh, not in front. (late release)
4. Fingers aren't getting under the ball (they're a little too much behind the ball)

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2012
USA
I wish I could help Boomers but we are not there yet. However, when we do get there, I have permanently etched BoardMembers video of "around the barrel" motion in my mind and will try to follow his lead to get us started.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Try this cue: Whip the fingers under and up the front of the ball. Specifically, try a focus of whipping the index finger under, and the middle finger up the front. Finish with the thumb pointing right and down, and the index finger pointed up and forward. When taking the grip, I like to move the index finger towards the thumb to feel a little stretch between the index and middle fingers.

Last edited:
May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
ball is definitely "palm to 3B' coming over the top and into 9:00 position,
in the video.

I think getting palm-up at 9:00 is pretty critical when throwing the rise or palm-up curve.

Learning the body-control to keep her good drop-ball mechanics for that pitch,
and adjusting them to throw a rise is going to take a while, I would bet.

My kid has an opposite problem:
She is so thoroughly palm-up at 9:00 and inside the ball from there to release,
that she is having a hard time throwing a good drop with proper spin.
That is what this Winter is about for her...

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I wish I could help Boomers but we are not there yet. However, when we do get there, I have permanently etched BoardMembers video of "around the barrel" motion in my mind and will try to follow his lead to get us started.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Ben,

Send me a video from the side.
Look up ulnar deviation on google. Think of how she can apply this articulation violently... to work the index finger down the ball... resulting in the appearance of a snap up after release.
Perform that movement with the hand inside the ball, with a widened 2-seam grip (see pauly pics).

Mike

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles