Pitching at the CWS--the Fouts meltdown

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Fouts turned in the best performance by a pitcher at the CWS. Then, yesterday, she turned in the worst performance of the CWS, allowing 8 runs in less than three innings.

Why? Was she replaced by a body double?

I've got three theories.

1. The Alabama pitch calling system was hacked. Alabama signals from the dugout to the pitcher and the catcher at the same time. Thus, the signal is easily seen by everyone at the stadium.

In reality, breaking the system would be very easy...Fouts only throws three pitches, and she only uses three locations for each pitch. Rise balls are always high (high inside, high outside, high middle). Fastballs and change ups are always low (low inside, low outside, low middle).

There was lots of video of her over the two previous games. So, breaking the Alabama pitch calling system should be very simple.

A code breaker would know the pitch see threw, and also the signal from the dugout. So, a quick review of the video would reveal the Alabama pitch signalling code.

It is ironic...breaking the pitch signal code for HS and TB is hard because the pitchers aren't reliable. They make mistakes all the time. But, high level pitchers rarely mess up a pitch...so, you know exactly what pitch she was trying throw.

Even more ironic--the way to stop code breaking by the opposition would be to let the catchers and pitchers call the game.

2. Her control was off.

She was way off her targets. She was missing the corners by 12 inches, not a 2 inches.

And, when she needed a strike it was *always* low inside or low middle.

3. Her rise wasn't working.

Fouts throws a bullet spin rise. (As @DrRiello likes to call it, a "ramp rise".)

The problem with a bullet spin rise is that if the seam orientation is not correct, it is simply a fastball. (The beauty of the 12-6 rise is that, even the spin is off, the ball is still going to move quite a bit.)

Jul 5, 2016
I vote for 2,3.

The WCWS must be emotionally exhausting on top of the physical exertion.

And, do you give credence to the theory that FSU batters adjusted to Fouts' style?

Apr 12, 2015
Seriously, it was probably a combination of all 3. It certainly looked like FSU had some tipoff certain pitches were coming at certain times, but that might have just been pitch pattern recognition. And Fouts wasn't at her best, obviously.

But hey, human nature. Sooner or later, everyone will have a bad day at work.

Nov 4, 2015
I give a large portion of it to FSU's approach. They went up to bat to put the ball in play. Not to hit home runs, or even drive the ball into the gaps, but to put the ball in play. We always hear about launch angle, but FSU scores a lot of runs on ground balls. Pressure was put on the defense constantly by batters and baserunners. It was fun to watch the way FSU played. I believe she was also not as sharp, but anything is going to look bad against the perfect game.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I give a large portion of it to FSU's approach. They went up to bat to put the ball in play. Not to hit home runs, or even drive the ball into the gaps, but to put the ball in play. We always hear about launch angle, but FSU scores a lot of runs on ground balls. Pressure was put on the defense constantly by batters and baserunners. It was fun to watch the way FSU played. I believe she was also not as sharp, but anything is going to look bad against the perfect game.
During the game, it was mentioned that they were only looking down during at bats. I thought that the leadoff single of the game for FSU showed their intent.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
...thinking through the replacement body double possibilty?

This stands out
If it aint working on a given day, especially at this level, have to change strategy (pitch calling) very early on in the game. Even consider different speed of pitcher. Yep.
Cuz velocity didnt help.
First inning any indication of it ain't working?
Second inning?
By 3rd inning gotta know.
And hmmm gonna guess
She new herslef! ;)

Oct 4, 2018
I vote for 2,3.

The WCWS must be emotionally exhausting on top of the physical exertion.

And, do you give credence to the theory that FSU batters adjusted to Fouts' style?

Agreed.

It's interesting in how you ordered your list, Sluggers. Do you feel it was stealing signs?

I have heard the school called the Florida State Criminals. I think that referred to the football team.

Jul 22, 2015
Fouts turned in the best performance by a pitcher at the CWS. Then, yesterday, she turned in the worst performance of the CWS, allowing 8 runs in less than three innings.

Why? Was she replaced by a body double?

I've got three theories.

1. The Alabama pitch calling system was hacked. Alabama signals from the dugout to the pitcher and the catcher at the same time. Thus, the signal is easily seen by everyone at the stadium.

In reality, breaking the system would be very easy...Fouts only throws three pitches, and she only uses three locations for each pitch. Rise balls are always high (high inside, high outside, high middle). Fastballs and change ups are always low (low inside, low outside, low middle).

There was lots of video of her over the two previous games. So, breaking the Alabama pitch calling system should be very simple.

A code breaker would know the pitch see threw, and also the signal from the dugout. So, a quick review of the video would reveal the Alabama pitch signalling code.

It is ironic...breaking the pitch signal code for HS and TB is hard because the pitchers aren't reliable. They make mistakes all the time. But, high level pitchers rarely mess up a pitch...so, you know exactly what pitch she was trying throw.

Even more ironic--the way to stop code breaking by the opposition would be to let the catchers and pitchers call the game.

2. Her control was off.

She was way off her targets. She was missing the corners by 12 inches, not a 2 inches.

And, when she needed a strike it was *always* low inside or low middle.

3. Her rise wasn't working.

Fouts throws a bullet spin rise. (As @DrRiello likes to call it, a "ramp rise".)

The problem with a bullet spin rise is that if the seam orientation is not correct, it is simply a fastball. (The beauty of the 12-6 rise is that, even the spin is off, the ball is still going to move quite a bit.)
I don't buy #1. If you look at their wristbands they just have too many sections to easily pick pitches that way. Unless Alabama was dumb enough to only have 1 or 2 cards total (which seems impossible) It would just take so long to correlate numbers to pitches. I would guess that they probably had multiple pitch cards for each pitcher. Each card looked to have 10 to 12 sections with 25 pitches in each section if my brief glances were correct. I'd assume that they changed cards between innings at least once or twice a game and probably used the same numbers on each card so that "125" could have been a different pitch each inning. Not impossible if Alabama got lazy, but seems doubtful.
The answer is in #2 and #3. She just didn't hit spots and had almost no rise at all. I do think FL St was making a concerted effort to get pitches down, but it would have been a different game with her normal stuff. I would also give a #4 reason. I don't think Alabama did enough to adjust their pitch calling to her stuff early on. Her rise was consistently flat and missing arm side but they just kept calling it over and over.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom