Rise ball questions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Screenshot_20211228-063338_Gallery.jpg
Well seeing the definition of the word rise it does move upward and finish higher than release point.

Accurately named imo

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
This became a noticeable trend of people coming to catching lessons later when they were 14, 15 or 16.

Run into similar situations with parents of catchers who in younger age bracket or C/B type teams,
their daughter's throw to 2nd gets the out.
Until they go tryout for a competive team.
Either don't make it or told they will be the last catcher in the lineup.
And they're confused, frustrated, mad, and they're seeking a solution.

They find out the solution is you have to be faster, throw harder and be more accurate, because the players have gotten better and their decision making is faster and they're stronger physically.
Picks up the level of the game.

It has happened where parents were mad at themselves because they did not see anything beyond the softball that was right in front of them to even recognize should/could have been doing better.

High school can be a very Awakening situation for a lot of these.
It can be hard if a parent never played at a higher level, and in particular at the position their kid plays, to recognize differences even if they do see higher level play. They can see things at the macro level but are unable to understand the details which cause the better play. I can empathize with these parents.

For example if my kid caught I would be able to see a better pop time but without studying catching I wouldn’t know why.

Of course there are some parents who refuse to even see the macro level results and in that case I don’t feel bad at all for them when reality smacks them in the face..

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Of course there are some parents who refuse to even see the macro level results and in that case I don’t feel bad at all for them when reality smacks them in the face..
Lol
Ignorance is bliss

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I was at a mid level Showcase this summer and watched a very 'athletic' pitcher warmup. She looked good but I noticed the 'step left, throw right' screwball was part of her repertoire. She threw that pitch in the game and it repeatedly got smoked. Maybe she didn't get it inside enough or maybe the hitters were smart enough see what was coming. Whatever the case I'm sure it was a killer pitch at the 14U level.
That visual step left thing...
it's such an awesome give away 😁for the hitter that wants to derail an inside pitch!

That's part of Developmental abilities and how come hitters get better and pitchers don't understand what's going on.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018
This is the second or third time in the last year this conversation has happened…not sure why people are so adamant on calling it a screwball other than to be able to tell people their little Suzy All World throws one..
The question is, why are people on DF so adamant about NOT calling it a screwball. The rest of the known softball world calls it a screwball. It's been almost 15 years since boardmember coined the term IR. Go to anyone outside of DF and they don't know what you are talking about.

I know you spend time in the hitting forums, you need a cheat sheet to keep all the terms straight so you can have an inkling of what the heck they are talking about.

And if the answer is because it does not spin the way a baseball screwball spins, then so what. A softball curve does not spin or behave like a baseball curve. No one seems to have an issue with that.

Oct 14, 2019
A lot of the old timers on this board are more concerned with being “right” than engaging in discussion or being helpful.

Jun 8, 2016
A lot of the old timers on this board are more concerned with being “right” than engaging in discussion or being helpful.
I was wondering when you and your passive aggressive sh$@ would show up.

Jun 8, 2016
In all seriousness though, @cnardone you are right it doesn’t really matter. I am just trying to explain why somebody would balk at the notion of calling it a screwball…not about being right or wrong.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Never stepped in the box in fastpitch but would the step left be something a batter could pick up early enough to help them?
Yes

Very certain that my ability to read pitchers body mechanics helped me be a better hitter!
Including specifically when they release the ball.

Helped understanding overhand throws in reading those also.
Ohhh and helped me teaching throwing 🥳

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812