Softball Pitching Movement

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 26, 2019
Something that never gets talked about is how difficult it is for most pitchers to learn the change up, probably because it involves a radical mechanical change. Spins may require a different grip and some finger/hand manipulation, and while you may not spin it correctly the ball is generally close to the plate. Attempted change ups can go anywhere.
The changeup is a “feel” pitch. Some kids don’t have the slightest feel for it. I have said “you know the changeup is supposed to be slower right?” to quite a few pitchers over the years.

I have found throwing the changeup from greater than pitching distance is a good way to get a feel for it. Throw it from 46-50 feet and you will have to keep the arm speed up on the change. Also, if it doesn’t fade/drop from that distance then it certainly won’t from 43.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
From the outside it looks like a change up should be an easy pitch to learn, what's so hard about throwing the ball slower? I think that's why a lot of people say it should be the second pitch a player learns. But since it involves pushing the ball, and/or rotating the hand/wrist, and/or using a different grip, it's not easy as it seems, especially if you're a 12U player with 'young' hands and a 12 inch ball.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Has anyone else ever noticed how many catchers think they can throw a good change up? It's usually in comic relief but I've known several who swear they can. Also, as an old man who went to too many pitching lessons and spent too much time studying mechanics, videos, etc., the one pitch that I was able to throw consistently (not saying it was good) was the "flip" change. hahaha

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Has anyone else ever noticed how many catchers think they can throw a good change up? It's usually in comic relief but I've known several who swear they can. Also, as an old man who went to too many pitching lessons and spent too much time studying mechanics, videos, etc., the one pitch that I was able to throw consistently (not saying it was good) was the "flip" change. hahaha
My front toss rise gets them every time.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Nothing is hard about it. Making it look like you're throwing hard when the ball actually goes slow is the difficult part.
✔️

Simply to add to Mr B's comment
a perspective on throwing,
An example of capabilities~

Defensive players throwing overhand make adjustments on throwing speeds.

Generally not because they are trained to do it but because they recognize they need to do it.
Good possibility this comes from experience learning how to throw and then throwing harder.

Similarly
If we think about it,... pitchers generally start off pitching slower then pitching becomes faster.
In that way pitchers have already experienced what it's like to throw slower.

MIX IT UP!
Slower can have more movement too!

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Similarly
If we think about it,... pitchers generally start off pitching slower then pitching becomes faster.
In that way pitchers have already experienced what it's like to throw slower.
which benefits them in what way? I am confused..

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
which benefits them in what way? I am confused..
Similar, your daughter learning how to swing a bat, probability she started at one swing speed and has learned to swing it harder. She also has learned she can swing all the way through or control her swing doing drills.
She has an understanding of where contact point is when controlling where she wants the bat to go.

Throwing a ball overhand is similar in that we learn release point, know where we're going to release the ball and if we're going to throw it harder or softer.
For most generally that is not trained at lessons, it is learned through experience growing throwing.

Nothing is hard about it. Making it look like you're throwing hard when the ball actually goes slow is the difficult part.
To Mr B's comment making it look like throwing hard when the ball actually goes slow is the difficult part!
My comment in agreement with Mr B is to say knowing how to throw slow is the easier part. Having already experienced it.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45