What percentage of pitching speeds that we see/hear do you think are wrong

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 9, 2021
Where are all of our pitching guys? It would be great to hear their thoughts. As I have mentioned before, there was a time here where everyone's dd pitched 60+ and many 65+. Were they fudging? I know that @riseball daughter could bring it and she proved it. This tread brought me back to the old days when Javasource, Pauley, and my good buddy BoardMember were frequent flyers.

As an fyi, my dd topped out at 63 at the xxx camp. I mentioned that here after the camp. Could she sustain that? Who knows? It was the only time I think that she was ever gunned. At this camp, they said that they wanted her bat. That pretty much ended her pitching career. She wanted to be a hitter more than a pitcher and most schools then were wanting one or the other. She did not pitch her senior year of HS and ended up with a career HS record of 29-1.

I wonder if more reliable radar devices available to everyone now has made it easier to prove what speeds people pitch. It may not even be people were lying previously just that devices weren’t as accurate. As someone mentioned above I also have a Diamond Kinetics ball that consistently reads several MPH faster than a pocket radar. If that is all I had I could be stating a number that I believe is the truth, that is off by a good bit.

Not many dads sitting on a bucket had access to reliable radar devices even ten years ago. Probably a lot of guessing going on.

I just don’t see why people exaggerate anymore. Most coaches even at the travel level can pull a radar gun out of their pocket and know in seconds how honest you have been with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 27, 2021
This topic gets it going every few months. Majority of the numbers/social media pictures are inflated numbers. Amazing to see so many 12U-14U players throwing in pitching lessons as hard as D1 pitchers are throwing in games. Always go by the numbers that matter, K, BB, Wins, ERA, hits, opponents batting avg. to get an accurate read on a kid.

Jun 20, 2015
sort of like bat exit velo being taken from a ball thrown at batter versus the correct way. grain of salt and verify for yourself. Have had more than 1 player have to change their recruiting handouts to reflect real numbers instead of inflated ones.

Oct 14, 2019
This topic gets it going every few months. Majority of the numbers/social media pictures are inflated numbers. Amazing to see so many 12U-14U players throwing in pitching lessons as hard as D1 pitchers are throwing in games. Always go by the numbers that matter, K, BB, Wins, ERA, hits, opponents batting avg. to get an accurate read on a kid.
most of the times i see pitch speed listed it is a picture of the girl holding pocket radar with the speed displayed.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
You may be right but she def cruises 61-63.
About a week before my DD turned 13 I brought her to a pitching clinic given by @Ken B and @javasource . Java asked me at the start of the clinic how fast my DD threw. I told him 53. When he put the pocket radar on her he looked shocked and said, 'She really throws 53?!?' She was throwing 56 by the end of the clinic.
I’ll never forget the big smile on her face!

Jan 22, 2011
My DD's 56mph was on a walk-through. When I would say she pitched a certain speed (53), it was her cruising speed, what she consistently threw over at least two days. What was interesting is she actually threw 1 to 2 mph faster in game situation than in practice or warmups. What was hilarious was there were a couple of girls in 12u that she really wanted to get out. She would be cruising at 51, jump to cruising at 53 for just one batter on a team, then drop to cruising at 51 until that batter came up again.

I was at the Stanford UCLA game sitting behind home plate, just below the press box. In the 5th inning I noticed someone with a pocket radar in the first row behind home plate. I had a partially obscured view of the display, so saw the speed on 12-15 pitches over the rest of the game. I saw both pitchers cruising at 67, off-speed pitches at 54-56. The brother of one of my DD's friends is a HS baseball pitcher with a better view of the display said the pitchers were throwing "almost 70".

I was heavily involved in a rec league for 10 years, 8 years on the board. So in the spring I typically saw 3 or 4 games on a Saturday. During the summer B/C tournaments I'd see 3 to 5 games on a Saturday and 2-3 on a Sunday. I became pretty good at eye-balling a pitcher's cruising speed within 1-2 mph. But since I don't see that many games now, I've lost most of that ability, as well as the ability to precisely stride 3 feet to double check pitching plate distance.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13