What percentage of pitching speeds that we see/hear do you think are wrong

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 9, 2021
Had a parent of another pitcher talking about how his daughter threw pretty hard but he had seen another pitcher throwing much harder. He had stated his daughter was around 50 but this girl must be around high 50’s or even 60’s. Found out he was talking about my kid and she has never been above 51 in her life on a pocket radar.

Was watching a video online today of a coach claiming his new student was throwing over 50 after just two lessons and it didn’t even look close to 50 in the video.

Made me wonder how many inflated numbers we see? Our kids see these numbers also and I wonder if it is setting unrealistic expectations for many of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I once had a lady tell me her DGD pitched 95 MPH and the local community college was looking at her. I tried to have a rational conversation about this. But she was positive it was 95 mph. We were in a non softball setting at the time. I knew the teams in that area and there wasn’t a single pitcher throwing over 55 at that age group.

Jan 28, 2017
I don’t clock my DD much, maybe twice a year. She has been clocked at 56 and I think she’s hit 57 but not with me clocking. She sent me a picture of the radar gun at 58 yesterday.

I texted back your brother must be throwing hard today Lol

Her- LOL, I sneezed into the radar gun and an it registered 58. Does that count?

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2015
I used to bring a radar gun to tournaments. Fun to stand behind to backstop and get actual readings.

I remember one 14U tournament where two girls were throwing 58-59, although neither could come close to the strike zone on most pitches. Most girls with control were 51-53.

Nov 9, 2021
I used to bring a radar gun to tournaments. Fun to stand behind to backstop and get actual readings.

I remember one 14U tournament where two girls were throwing 58-59, although neither could come close to the strike zone on most pitches. Most girls with control were 51-53.

I did something similar. Took the radar gun to an 18u showcase for some of the best teams in the nation. I was expecting them all to be in the mid 60’s or higher. Most were high 50’s consistently on games. Only a handful were consistently above 60. I didn’t measure them all, only about 10 or so.

Don’t get me wrong most of those girls were very good pitchers. But my expectations for speed were not realistic. Now I know there are some special talents out there that just throw gas. But those seem a lot more rare than I thought a few years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
As an umpire and father of a college pitcher; lots of people ask me how fast their DD or player is pitching after the game. I know what various speed looks like.

Not many of them like the answer.

Based on the claimed speed of one yesterday, my DD must pitch in the high 70's (which believe me she doesn't)

Oct 14, 2019
I guess it depends on what radar is reliable. Pocket radar seems to be most commonly used around here and HS pitchers tend to throw 58-61 at the high end.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Pocket radar is accurate. It doesn't lie. You have to be directly behind the catcher. Most pitchers will throw faster in a controlled environment. Indoors, astro turf, no batter, no pressure. So, pitching coach records her student at 56 mph and reports this to dear ole dad. But her actual game speed is usually 3 to 4 mph slower. If you find a pitcher that throws harder in the 4th inning than she did in the 1st inning and actually throws harder at game time than she did in a controlled environment, you probably want to keep her on your team. LOL. These are the pitchers that can throw 200 pitches on Sunday.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812