How do you handle another parent trashing your DD?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 20, 2020
Our 16U B team has two pitchers. They are statiscally even -- same number of runs given up, same number of walks, one has more strikouts, the otehr more ground outs. Run and defensive support for one of them is twice what it is for the other, so that pitcher has two more wins on the year. A couple of other statistical things out there, but for all intents and purposes, they are equal. They aren't great, they aren't terrible. Middle of the road B pitchers.

One of them is my DD. The other is Q's daughter. My Dd is the one that doesn't get the run support, and the team averages twice as many errors -- mostly because DD gets batters to hit grounders that don't always get feilded right. Partof being a B team. Q's daughter strikes out more, but she also gets hit more often. In the end it all balances out, like I said, nearly the same totals in runs given up and batters faced per inning pitched. There's your background.

After pool play yesterday, Q pulls the coaches -- and me -- over. He's got his wife and daughter with him. and proceeds to throw out lots of insults, mostly directed at my DD. Called my DD a "shitshow" multiple times, said none of us knew what we had in his daughter. That she should start every game and pitch every pitch. Coach tried to tell him that she was saving her arm. He said you don't need to save a girl's arm in fastpitch. But mostly he just attacked my daughter and me, saying I was in the coach's ear about her playing time. Again, same number of starts, same number of innings. I didn't say anything back because his daughter was right there, and I don't want to point out a girl's faults in front of her. So I just let him rant for a few minutes. Since I'm the scorekeeper, I pulled out my phone and said let's look at the stats. He said he didn't want to hear stats, just that his daughter was better and mine didn't know what she was doing. I lost my cool a bit then. Started walking towards him and he just backed up. This went on for a while. Until he finally walked away.

My question is, was I wrong not to punch him? I spent all night thinking that I should have at least hit him for the crap he said about my daughter. Should I have just started throwing out stats, told his daughter and him that both pitchers were plenty identical and not bothered with the girl's feelings? We've only got one tourney left, and the organization has banned him from it, but I feel as though I let my manhood be challenged and didn't hit a guy who deserved it.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Our 16U B team has two pitchers. They are statiscally even -- same number of runs given up, same number of walks, one has more strikouts, the otehr more ground outs. Run and defensive support for one of them is twice what it is for the other, so that pitcher has two more wins on the year. A couple of other statistical things out there, but for all intents and purposes, they are equal. They aren't great, they aren't terrible. Middle of the road B pitchers.

One of them is my DD. The other is Q's daughter. My Dd is the one that doesn't get the run support, and the team averages twice as many errors -- mostly because DD gets batters to hit grounders that don't always get feilded right. Partof being a B team. Q's daughter strikes out more, but she also gets hit more often. In the end it all balances out, like I said, nearly the same totals in runs given up and batters faced per inning pitched. There's your background.

After pool play yesterday, Q pulls the coaches -- and me -- over. He's got his wife and daughter with him. and proceeds to throw out lots of insults, mostly directed at my DD. Called her a "shitshow" multiple times, said none of us knew what we had in her. That she should start every game and pitch every pitch. Coach tried to tell him that she was saving her arm. He said you don't need to save a girl's arm in fastpitch. But mostly he just attacked my daughter and me, saying I was in the coach's ear about her playing time. Again, same number of starts, same number of innings. I didn't say anything back because his daughter was right there, and I don't want to point out a girl's faults in front of her. So I just let him rant for a few minutes. Since I'm the scorekeeper, I pulled out my phone and said let's look at the stats. He said he didn't want to hear stats, just that his daughter was better and mine didn't know what she was doing. I lost my cool a bit then. Started walking towards him and he just backed up. This went on for a while. Until he finally walked away.

My question is, was I wrong not to punch him? I spent all night thinking that I should have at least hit him for the crap he said about my daughter. Should I have just started throwing out stats, told his daughter and him that both pitchers were plenty identical and not bothered with the girl's feelings? We've only got one tourney left, and the organization has banned him from it, but I feel as though I let my manhood be challenged and didn't hit a guy who deserved it.
You did the right thing as difficult as it might have been. Smacking somebody in the jaw doesn’t make you a man...

Feb 1, 2021
I think you just need to remind him any 65 minute travel 'game' is basically a practice for the real 7 inning games you will play later. Winning is overrated. I know its cliche, but in either of my kids recruiting experiences, not a single coach asked them their record. Not a single one.

I feed off those little things and my kids are the same. They just help motivate and 'sharpen the knife'. Tack it on the bulletin board and let it feed the beast.

Jul 5, 2016
Were you wrong not to punch him? You made the right call for any number of reasons ranging from 1) It sounds like the guy was making an rear out of himself to n) it isn't worth possibly being charged with assault.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri

After pool play yesterday, Q pulls the coaches -- and me -- over. He's got his wife and daughter with him. and proceeds to throw out lots of insults, mostly directed at my DD. Called her a "shitshow" multiple times, said none of us knew what we had in her. That she should start every game and pitch every pitch. Coach tried to tell him that she was saving her arm. He said you don't need to save a girl's arm in fastpitch. But mostly he just attacked my daughter and me, saying I was in the coach's ear about her playing time. Again, same number of starts, same number of innings. I didn't say anything back because his daughter was right there, and I don't want to point out a girl's faults in front of her. So I just let him rant for a few minutes. Since I'm the scorekeeper, I pulled out my phone and said let's look at the stats. He said he didn't want to hear stats, just that his daughter was better and mine didn't know what she was doing. I lost my cool a bit then. Started walking towards him and he just backed up. This went on for a while. Until he finally walked away.

You did the right thing. Punching him in the mouth (despite sounding like he deserved it) would have resolved nothing. And would have been violence in front of a child….which I’m not okay with.

While you may question your “manhood” you did what should have. You were the better “man”. He was being a child. How would you feel if your DD found out you punched her teammates Dad? Then he decided to press charges? What a mess.

You took the high road. Good for you. Unfortunately his DD will have the tougher road if he continues to act that way.

Feb 20, 2020
I understand what everyone is saying, and I'm sure that I was right in not hitting him.

But the thing is, the reason guys keep doing shirt like this is because people keep taking the high road. He knew he could talk shirt about my daughter because he knew he wasn't going to get beat up for it -- he knew there'd be no real consequences. it's why he had his daughter and wife there, because he knew that no one was going to insult her while she stood there, and it gave him the freedom to say whatever he wanted.

I think the reason there's more bullying from everyone these days is we've gotten away from the adage we grew up with -- the best way to stop a bully is to hit him/her in the mouth.

Feb 1, 2021
I understand what everyone is saying, and I'm sure that I was right in not hitting him.

But the thing is, the reason guys keep doing shirt like this is because people keep taking the high road. He knew he could talk shirt about my daughter because he knew he wasn't going to get beat up for it -- he knew there'd be no real consequences. it's why he had his daughter and wife there, because he knew that no one was going to insult her while she stood there, and it gave him the freedom to say whatever he wanted.

I think the reason there's more bullying from everyone these days is we've gotten away from the adage we grew up with -- the best way to stop a bully is to hit him/her in the mouth.

You definitely have a point.

I will help you out a little. Guys like that have small man bits. They are soft. You challenge them, and they cave. Just lean on the guy emotionally for a few weeks and the problem will take care of itself. Doesn't take a fight to make him regret his choices.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478