What percentage of pitching speeds that we see/hear do you think are wrong

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 31, 2015
Been on this journey now for quite a few years as my DD is almost at 14u. The issue is coaches and parents talk about speed all the time!!! It puts a lot of pressure on these kids. I know my DD gets depressed when I pull out the radar gun. She immediately tightens up. Speed is sexy but for some reason spin isn’t!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ask if they've ever heard of a softball pitcher named Cat Osterman.

I believe she topped out at 64.

Oct 14, 2019
Been on this journey now for quite a few years as my DD is almost at 14u. The issue is coaches and parents talk about speed all the time!!! It puts a lot of pressure on these kids. I know my DD gets depressed when I pull out the radar gun. She immediately tightens up. Speed is sexy but for some reason spin isn’t!

Speed and spin are not mutually exclusive - more like complimentary.

Nov 9, 2021
Speed and spin are not mutually exclusive - more like complimentary.

That is very true. But I bet I can count on one hand the number of parents that have bragged about spin rates. One definitely gets a lot more attention than the other.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
My daughter is 15 and throws 61-62 with consistency. That's the highest speed I have her tracked with a Pocket Radar. Has she thrown 63? Probably, but I will never say for certain because I cannot document it.

The Diamond Kinetics ball is always 3-5 MPH faster than the Pocket Radar. I use that to measure spin, not speed.

I have a close friend whose daughter pitches for a big name program down south. Every time my daughter hits a new speed record, his daughter miraculously does too. According to him, she's throwing 65 at 15. I love him, but he's a liar.

What bothers me is the trainers who always post their students speed records on a run through. Running as fast as you can and releasing the ball is not a true indicator of how hard you can throw in a game. Saying a 15 year-old is throwing 70 MPH is absurd. The trainers should know better.

Jan 22, 2011
About a week before my DD turned 13 I brought her to a pitching clinic given by @Ken B and @javasource . Java asked me at the start of the clinic how fast my DD threw. I told him 53. When he put the pocket radar on her he looked shocked and said, 'She really throws 53?!?' She was throwing 56 by the end of the clinic.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
I thought this topic was only limited to baseball forums. :eek: Let's get this thread popping. [trigger warning]

So much envy and idiocy.

Dads that won't use a radar gun, yet are envious of others speed claims. Anyone not using radar ($299) for hitting and pitching nowadays, well...

Dads that are either 1. ignorant and don't know the difference between max/top speed and average/cruising speed, or 2. intentionally conflate the two. Recruiters are interested in max speed, get over it. Buy a radar gun, and work on max speed (or exit speed for hitting).

Dads/coaches that think they can tell the speed without a gun. I used a gun at tons of games/practices/showcases, and even I could not accurately guess speeds from pitch to pitch. Some gloves pop, some don't. The same glove will pop differently from pitch to pitch. Different pitchers have weird motions/releases. High pitches seem faster. Backdrops create illusions. etc.

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Where are all of our pitching guys? It would be great to hear their thoughts. As I have mentioned before, there was a time here where everyone's dd pitched 60+ and many 65+. Were they fudging? I know that @riseball daughter could bring it and she proved it. This tread brought me back to the old days when Javasource, Pauley, and my good buddy BoardMember were frequent flyers.

As an fyi, my dd topped out at 63 at the xxx camp. I mentioned that here after the camp. Could she sustain that? Who knows? It was the only time I think that she was ever gunned. At this camp, they said that they wanted her bat. That pretty much ended her pitching career. She wanted to be a hitter more than a pitcher and most schools then were wanting one or the other. She did not pitch her senior year of HS and ended up with a career HS record of 29-1.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles