The player who doesn't want to be a batter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
If it were my decision solely, I'd be gone, but it's not. We have an exit interview after this tournament where I will express my distaste for their lack of ABs for my daughter. Sadly, as a second-year 16U, her recruiting clock is ticking fast.

Honestly, I'm in a quandary. I don't know what to do.
If your kid is THAT good of a hitter, that is something that should be put on display to prospective college coaches. If she goes to a larger competitive HS, that can be put on display there. If not, hitting ability isn't something you want to keep a secret.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
If your kid is THAT good of a hitter, that is something that should be put on display to prospective college coaches. If she goes to a larger competitive HS, that can be put on display there. If not, hitting ability isn't something you want to keep a secret.
Our HS is competitive, but we're small. We win games because of her arm and bat. When she goes to camps, she always hits, and does well.

I'm sure she won't hit in college, but I am not telling a 16 year-old girl she can't hit anymore, especially when she'll get 90 ABs in school ball.

Jun 8, 2016
Our HS is competitive, but we're small. We win games because of her arm and bat. When she goes to camps, she always hits, and does well.

I'm sure she won't hit in college, but I am not telling a 16 year-old girl she can't hit anymore, especially when she'll get 90 ABs in school ball.
Do any of the pitchers hit? It’s odd for a coach to take this stance imo but once again I am continually amazed by the stories on here of coaches (at the older age groups) seemingly doing things which appear to go against putting a team on the field which gives them the best chance of winning. Personally I like to win 😉.

Last edited:

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014

Don't be too sure of that at 16U. If she's good, it's not a stretch at all that she could hit for a lower-level D1. On a team starving for offense, coaches will try just about anything.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Do any of the pitchers hit? It’s odd for a coach to take this stance imo but once again I am continually amazed by the stories on here of coaches (at the older age groups) seemingly doing things which appear to go against putting a team on the field which gives them the best chance of winning. Personally I like to win 😉.
It's funny you ask. Normally, they don't hit, but we have a guest pitcher this weekend who got three at bats yesterday...

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD and I went to a random SB field on Sunday mornings and she hit a gazillion balls, she was playing rec at the time. DD was allowed to invite 1 or 2 players if she wanted to. If sucked for me by myself because I had to run all the balls down while she rested for a little bit. That is what kids are for, chase down the balls.

If you have time I would pitch a gazillion balls to her, worked for us.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06