The Mercy Rule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
At some point this conversation makes me think of evaluating talent levels better. =An identification of what actually is talent levels.

Cuz ummm seein' some disparity within conferences.

Jan 22, 2011
In HS, especially at smaller schools, a lot of it comes down to luck. A weak to average team looks a lot better if they have a good pitcher and 2 or 3 players that can hit, so they are reasonably competitive. Pitcher gets hurt, and they get blown out.

My DD's team played a weak team in which we run ruled them in three innings, but took 3 innings to score 16 runs. We gave them 5 outs by walking off the base and one out was interference. My DD slapped every at bat, and two righties slapped after their first at bat.

Game last week the other coach accused us of running up the score in a 5 inning run rule game. We won 16-5, scoring 9 runs top of 5th. Our coached started two of our weakest players in the outfield. Our last out was our coach holding up a run at 3rd that should of scored, then having her walk off the base before the next pitch.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2019
I think there are a lot of variables. We were playing our third pool game on a 100 degree day and our #1 pitcher was hurt in the first inning of the first game. #2 was completely gassed and we were down 15 in the first inning. The coach was stealing home on passed balls. I finally asked him how many runs he needs. He just looked at me like he had no clue what I was talking about. Then his assistant finally had a girl step off at first. We want to compete, but in that moment mercy is what my 12U team needed.

There are a lot of things a coach can do before stepping off. Work on lead offs. Don’t steal home until the 3rd or 4th pitch. Go base to base on any hit in the park. Go to your number 2 or 3 pitcher on your next opportunity in the field.And finally stepping off might be necessary. Age, situation, and goals all play into it in my opinion. You can develop players in different ways in those moments, a coach has to be in tune with the environment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I think there are a lot of variables. We were playing our third pool game on a 100 degree day and our #1 pitcher was hurt in the first inning of the first game. #2 was completely gassed and we were down 15 in the first inning. The coach was stealing home on passed balls. I finally asked him how many runs he needs. He just looked at me like he had no clue what I was talking about. Then his assistant finally had a girl step off at first. We want to compete, but in that moment mercy is what my 12U team needed.

There are a lot of things a coach can do before stepping off. Work on lead offs. Don’t steal home until the 3rd or 4th pitch. Go base to base on any hit in the park. Go to your number 2 or 3 pitcher on your next opportunity in the field.And finally stepping off might be necessary. Age, situation, and goals all play into it in my opinion. You can develop players in different ways in those moments, a coach has to be in tune with the environment.

Like this post because it describes a person paying attention to what's happening on the field and how best to utilize that opportunity. By being in tune with the environment
(Aka-pay attention) can use the opportunity, maximize the situation, to help best grow the players on the field.
✔Good Stuff!

Perhaps the root point of the conversation may be that some people have sportsmanship,
While others like to bulldoze teams that clearly are in a challenged competitive situation and spout about it while they're having drinks at the hotel bar...

Jul 1, 2019
Based on your sensibilities. What section of the rule book are your unwritten rules located? If they differ from another coaches unwritten rules to I apply his sensibilities over yours?

There is no unwritten rule. Know your goals and live to them. If you want to put up 40 runs on a team in an inning, then go out there and achieve that goal. You will have parents who love it and you will have parents that don’t.

May 17, 2012
There is no unwritten rule. Know your goals and live to them. If you want to put up 40 runs on a team in an inning, then go out there and achieve that goal. You will have parents who love it and you will have parents that don’t.

My larger point would be you don't know why the other coach did "X". Maybe that coach in your example had a team that was struggling to steal home so that's what he/she was practicing.

Bunt here, don't steal there, step off the base when up by 12 with your subs in their third position after 5:00PM on a Friday.

As a coach you can pull your team off the field at any time for any reason.

Jul 1, 2019
My larger point would be you don't know why the other coach did "X". Maybe that coach in your example had a team that was struggling to steal home so that's what he/she was practicing.

Bunt here, don't steal there, step off the base when up by 12 with your subs in their third position after 5:00PM on a Friday.

As a coach you can pull your team off the field at any time for any reason.

They had given up 1 run for the tournament and scored over 15 runs in each game. The struggle is they were a class A level team playing in the wrong tournament. He even acknowledged he was in the wrong tournament.

May 17, 2012
No disagreeing that you should be a good sport and acknowledge the situation. I just stop short of telling other coaches how they should or shouldn't coach their team. I simply don't have the information they have so I don't question their integrity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06