The Mercy Rule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2018
DD's had their first HS game on Friday - they won 20-2, they tried not to run up the score (coaches held runners, limited stealing, etc) but the opposing team couldn't field and every ball rolled to the fence, pitching was too hittable. But as you all know, they needed to get to 5 innings to finish the game. The 4/5th inning the coach had them step off bags and finish it up. The opposing team just wanted out of there, you could see it in the body language. It was a mercy, and one I think they wanted. IMO it's the rare team that is being trounced and wants to keep playing.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Today, a college beat a team 50-2. Keep in mind that this is college and there is a mercy rule. They won the second game 34-2.

Jul 4, 2013
Today, a college beat a team 50-2. Keep in mind that this is college and there is a mercy rule. They won the second game 34-2.
I hate reading that. In case it needs to be spelled out, the right way to do it is to score enough to safely have the mercy rule, then step off to get to enough innings for it to be in effect. 50-2 is way past where someone should have been able to figure out how to end it. At 50-2, whatever stats or at bats someone is worrying about should be way less valuable than your self-respect.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
... disparity of talent level within divisions over inflates real batting averages.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Facebook is blowing up over these games. 32 hits and 19 walks. Lots of questions. Instead of stepping off the base, the batters can bunt the ball and make the defense make plays. Sac bunts, not drag bunts. Saves face for both teams. Sportsmanship still has a place in sports.

Mar 24, 2022
I think some teams need to have the option of the mercy rule. There have been multiple times, whether it had been my team or the opposing. That in the 4th inning they are finally starting to time the ball, and looks like they may even be able to score some to not have to resort to the mercy rule. But they were at the bottom of the line up, and with three outs they were one run short of continuing the game. But on the other side of the coin. just last year my high school team played a high school that had a notoriously bad softball team, and within two innings we were up 22-0. My coach even put our left fielder in to pitch, just cause she wanted to try, and they still couldn't get a single hit. by the third inning, we had right handed hitters slapping from the left side just trying to give them outs while having fun. but even that wasn't working. So we had to restore to one of the worse things that can happen against you (or what feels like the worse). Having the other team purposely step off the bases to give you outs. In that instance we run ruled them by the end of the third inning. And in that case it really was a mercy, until played them again 30 minutes later because in michigan you only play double headers for high school. that game we run ruled them in three again with 20-0.

So i think it is necessary to at least have the option for the mercy for teams, especially ones where you are just destroying the girls confidence, and their want to play softball. But also for the teams who might be able to make a comeback who never gets the chance to, because its a forced rule.

But mercies still even happen in college, like just yesterday Texas Tech had to be mercied by Oklahoma State after Oklahoma State hit 5 home runs off texas tech in the first inning. They hit 6 total home runs that game with one grand slam. OSU ended up winning 16-2.

But I honestly feel as if there should be an option made by the coach, not just a forcibly imposed rule.

May 17, 2012
I hate reading that. In case it needs to be spelled out, the right way to do it is to score enough to safely have the mercy rule, then step off to get to enough innings for it to be in effect. 50-2 is way past where someone should have been able to figure out how to end it. At 50-2, whatever stats or at bats someone is worrying about should be way less valuable than your self-respect.

Or the adults in charge could cancel the contest before it ever begins.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06