The player who doesn't want to be a batter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Yep that's what that says, a player who doesn't want to be a batter 🤷‍♀️
15 yr old. Been in softball 5 years.
Plays travel ball.

Not something have encountered very often at all. Just wants to play defense. And it's not a pitcher...

What are the thoughts on this?
💥 GO DFP 💥

May 27, 2013
Yep that's what that says, a player who doesn't want to be a batter 🤷‍♀️
15 yr old. Been in softball 5 years.
Plays travel ball.

Not something have encountered very often at all. Just wants to play defense. And it's not a pitcher...

What are the thoughts on this?
💥 GO DFP 💥
My thoughts are if they want to play in college then it is not the path to choose. However, if just playing TB just to play softball, by all means why not?

radness

Dec 13, 2019
My thoughts are if they want to play in college then it is not the path to choose.
✔️
However, if just playing TB just to play softball, by all means why not?
Why not, good question.
What predicament might that pose? Especially when teams at that age bracket are showcasing and have other players who are putting in the work defensively and offensively.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Well, I have a daughter who is a pitcher and a beast of a hitter, but her 16U coach doesn't believe pitchers should ever hit. Had I known this before we joined, we wouldn't be here.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Well, I have a daughter who is a pitcher and a beast of a hitter, but her 16U coach doesn't believe pitchers should ever hit. Had I known this before we joined, we wouldn't be here.
Oy' vey...

Oklahoma recruited a pitcher who has a phenomenal career already. She pitched for Batbusters Coach Mike Stith team
Ella Parker.
Oklahoma has her listed as a utility player.
Perhaps you should list your daughter as a utility player so she can get in the lineup!

May 27, 2013
✔️

Why not, good question.
What predicament might that pose? Especially when teams at that age bracket are showcasing and have other players who are putting in the work defensively and offensively.
I‘m more referring to the lower level TB teams, not the ones who carry players who want to play college ball. We have plenty of those type of teams around here - many just have players who want to keep playing past Little League. Most don’t even make varsity at their HS. At that level I imagine it would be perfectly fine to play defense only, especially if the player is strong at their position. Utilize the Flex/DP.

May 27, 2013
Dd’s one PC when she first started pitching was a D1 pitcher who was a phenomenal hitter. Her college coach wouldn’t bat her but one game finally allowed her to hit. First at bat - ball over the fence. Even after that, she didn’t get in the lineup too many more times. Just seems like an odd mindset to me but I guess there’s always the chance of injury once they get on base. 🤷‍♀️

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma has her listed as a utility player.
Perhaps you should list your daughter as a utility player so she can get in the lineup!

Ella may not pitch much, but there's always a place in any lineup for a good hitter.

I'll wager that most of OU's roster were pitchers at some point. Jayda Coleman was a pitcher for her HS team...undefeated in her senior season. She was also a SS, but the only time she'll see the IF at OU is when she jogs through it to CF. Conversely, from what I saw out of Jordy Bahl this Fall, she might have made OU's roster even if she wasn't a pitcher. For a lesser D-1 team, she'd be in the lineup regardless of whether she was pitching.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Ella may not pitch much, but there's always a place in any lineup for a good hitter.

I'll wager that most of OU's roster were pitchers at some point. Jayda Coleman was a pitcher for her HS team...undefeated in her senior season. She was also a SS, but the only time she'll see the IF at OU is when she jogs through it to CF. Conversely, from what I saw out of Jordy Bahl this Fall, she might have made OU's roster even if she wasn't a pitcher. For a lesser D-1 team, she'd be in the lineup regardless of whether she was pitching.
🙂 Being able to do more than one thing is always an asset!!

Good evidence that even while someone might be a pitcher they don't have to be pigeonholed with the~
Pitcher/ title / can't do anything else.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478