The player who doesn't want to be a batter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Dd’s one PC when she first started pitching was a D1 pitcher who was a phenomenal hitter. Her college coach wouldn’t bat her but one game finally allowed her to hit. First at bat - ball over the fence. Even after that, she didn’t get in the lineup too many more times. Just seems like an odd mindset to me but I guess there’s always the chance of injury once they get on base. 🤷‍♀️

Perhaps the team had a surplus of offense and didn't need to risk the pitcher even if she was a good hitter; a nice, but rare situation. I see pitchers hit in college all the time, even in D1. I've seen pitchers in the batting lineup even when they're not pitching.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Well, I have a daughter who is a pitcher and a beast of a hitter, but her 16U coach doesn't believe pitchers should ever hit. Had I known this before we joined, we wouldn't be here.

I wonder why you're still there. 16/18U coaches will line up around the block for a solid pitcher who can also hit well.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Now compelled to add as a catcher being in the lineup, I'm glad I got to run for myself!

Strange to me seeing catchers have someone else run for them, even when the catcher is quick/fast.
Can remember a mom who absolutely put her foot down about a t.b. coach who was going to have runners run for her daughter. The power of mom won that argument. 🙂 or maybe it was the influence of what a good player that catcher is 😁👍

May 27, 2013
Perhaps the team had a surplus of offense and didn't need to risk the pitcher even if she was a good hitter; a nice, but rare situation. I see pitchers hit in college all the time, even in D1. I've seen pitchers in the batting lineup even when they're not pitching.
Lol - definitely not a powerhouse offense back then. Funny thing is, the coach who has the team now does have their top pitcher hit, as she is also one their top producers. Again, I think it comes down to the mindset of the individual coach. I‘m all for letting pitchers hit. My dd is a pitcher who gets put in the lineup even if she’s not on the field.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
🙄😏 waiting for a good answer there
@LEsoftballdad 🙂🙂🙂

Whats the dealio???
If it were my decision solely, I'd be gone, but it's not. We have an exit interview after this tournament where I will express my distaste for their lack of ABs for my daughter. Sadly, as a second-year 16U, her recruiting clock is ticking fast.

Honestly, I'm in a quandary. I don't know what to do.

Jun 8, 2016
DD’s team has two pitchers who cannot hit water if they fell out of a boat and they still get ABs..😒

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
We have three girls with 148 PA between them and a whopping 17 hits. I'm quite certain my daughter would be much better than them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06