The player who doesn't want to be a batter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 3, 2015
Coaches make players POs so they can manage ABs for their other 18 players. Really.

Not for my DD. She’s an ok hitter, not for high level play though. In HS she hit .300. Has been a PO since 16U and she’s fine with it.

She does not enjoy hitting and I don’t understand. If she worked at it she would be decent. Pitching is like playing another sport so not sure how she would have found the time for that.

At PGF coach had her hit in the pool games once just as a last TB at bat type thing. The dugout was going crazy cheering her on, that was pretty cool.

She still has to practice hitting at college, they say there may be times when she has to. Good luck with that. I swear she swings at the first pitch she can hit so she can get it over with, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 19, 2021
The differences are funny. Our P3,P4, P5 are pretty much POs, but hit occasionally. But our P1A and P1B (both going to WCWS-type schools) hit for themselves. They are good hitters. Heck, P1A has real speed. She can slap, hit for power, steal bases, and pinch-runs when she can.

DD gave up pitching so she could be in the lineup and HIT every day.

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
Coaching a HS Modified team, I encounted the same thing. Didn't want to bat, wasn't going to bat, period. So, we went back and forth a little bit trying to find some common ground and I finally reached the point where I, unknownst to her, penciled her in as my lead off hitter for our next game. She ended up earning the spot. Sometimes you just need to let competitive types know you believe in them.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Coaching a HS Modified team, I encounted the same thing. Didn't want to bat, wasn't going to bat, period. So, we went back and forth a little bit trying to find some common ground and I finally reached the point where I, unknownst to her, penciled her in as my lead off hitter for our next game. She ended up earning the spot. Sometimes you just need to let competitive types know you believe in them.
Along with believing in the player 🙂 like to ask, what was it that pushed you/ motivated you to pencil her in? Did you know her personality in a way that influenced?

Asking because possibly certain coaches go back and forth about what to do.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
I don't mean to sound flippant bit I just believed in her abilities to hit. She had the physical tools and I knew she was a competitor. I also knew she was overshadowed by her older sister and she just didn't think she was as good as her sister. Coaching/instructing/teaching is being able to "see" inside a player, whether it's her heart or her mind, eh.

Mar 10, 2020
On teams that have supply and demand at tryouts 14u and up. On each of the team's daughters have played on have to prove that you can hit to be on the roster.
If a pitcher would have to prove an invaluable defensive player to not have to hit.

Apr 14, 2022
I always wonder what happens to pitchers? My DD played a local junior high league this fall. Some of the best hitters were also pitchers. Particularly when it came to power. Over half of what I would call shots against us was hit by opposing pitchers.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Well, I have a daughter who is a pitcher and a beast of a hitter, but her 16U coach doesn't believe pitchers should ever hit. Had I known this before we joined, we wouldn't be here.
Man I just can't understand that line of thinking? Both of my pitchers had a great tournament offensively at the plate this weekend!

My DD pitched and played SS, she always hit in the 3 or 4 hole, couldn't imagine taking the bat out of her hand?

Aug 5, 2022
I think it just depends. Dd is going to a program where pitchers hit if they want but they have to make the line up. I can imagine it’s hard to find time to work that skill as well as their primary roll.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101