The CWS shows bulletspin--rewriting the book on movement pitches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I saw the college logo as a constant target on the ball when they throw bullet spin. I would think hitters would use that to their advantage and would also think that once seen on TV the pitching coach would recommend a different grip so the logo isn't screaming "hit me hard right here."
Yes, but you're seeing the logo from the CF camera, not behind home plate. If they grip the ball the same way, the batter won't see the logo. But I did see it all the time, too.

Jun 8, 2016
Does Canady have better movement/location/spin than everybody or maybe, just maybe, velocity is useful? 😉

Jun 8, 2016
According to the ESPN gun last night, the freshman from TN was throwing 75-76, and it didn't help her.
I didn’t say the other stuff wasn’t important. Just that saying it’s all about timing is easier said than done. 3/4 of the pitchers in the MLB HOF were hard throwers..Canady’s CU is garbage and she basically shut down OU for 1.5 games.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I didn’t say the other stuff wasn’t important. Just that saying it’s all about timing is easier said than done. 3/4 of the pitchers in the MLB HOF were hard throwers..Canady’s CU is garbage and she basically shut down OU for 1.5 games.
Oh, I agree. Look at the HOF pitchers of every generation, and with the exception of Maddux, are there any who weren't considered hard throwers for their time?

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
This year, there is a super-slow motion camera at 1B. You can really see how the bullet spin pitches are thrown. I've not seen a backspin rise during the playoffs.

For a rise, the ball's axis of rotation appears to about 20 degrees from horizontal, resulting in the top seams being behind the ball and the bottom seams being exposed.

The bottom seam deflects the air down, thereby causing an upward force on the ball. Thus, the ball is pushed up.

Vawter was throwing a bullet spin changeup.
So to get the ball to bullet spin in this axis are the pitchers adjusting the arm, wrist, and fingers like you have to with other new pitches OR are you just changing the way the ball is held in the hand (assuming your basic fastball was a bullet spin facing the catcher) until you see the result you want?

Aug 1, 2019
MN
...I began to wonder if this is some kind of TV thing, like how a car's wheels go backwards when you see them on a screen...
I really think you're on to something here. As much emphasis as there is on spin axes when training pitchers, why the rotation on so many pitches looks the same on TV for what they are labelling curve, rise, or screw. Drop is the one I can discern the most on TV for its rotation.

We may have been selling these pitchers short from their true ability when it could be TV's technical limitations giving us the wrong impression.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying