The CWS shows bulletspin--rewriting the book on movement pitches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Hillhouse

Don’t you you know the Riseball is an optical illusion? lol
I know you were being a wiseass (I approve of this 😂) but it does drop less from the initial straight line trajectory (path it would take without gravity) than other pitches..It does not, at least for female pitches, “rise” above that straight line trajectory.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I know you were being a wiseass (I approve of this 😂) but it does drop less from the initial straight line trajectory (path it would take without gravity) than other pitches..It does not, at least for female pitches, “rise” above that straight line trajectory.

Agree, low to high trajectory. Michele Smith video. Creates a hump in the balls path, as gravity plays its part. Swing under the hump.

Men can hold low trajectory longer, they pitch farther. The low trajectory portion.

Jan 6, 2018
Did anybody see the game last night when they did a super slow-mo of Canady's rise ball with what looked to me like bullet spin and the announcer was going on and on about how it was "6 to 12" spin?

I admittedly don't always read spin well, but unless I completely do not understand what 6 to 12 is supposed to look like, um, that wasn't it.
I’ve seen both bullet and rise spin from her. I think when she’s trying to blow it by up she loses some pure spin, but some of her lower rise pitches looked better…more floaty. A sew a few backwards K on the low rise. What’s important to understand is that pure bullet spin will be less effective than pure backspin, but there’s literally 180 degrees of variance between pure spin. Same goes for drop. Pure drop spin is more effective than bullet, but there is again 180 degrees of variance. The slow mo on TV can make stuff that is maybe turned 30 degrees toward backspin look pretty bullety, which it is, but some degree of backspin is better than none, and certainly better than throwing drop spin high!

Jun 8, 2016
Pattar,

Why hasn't the OU engineering or physics department done a comprehensive study of the movement of softballs.?
You offering to fund it? ;)

I've seen papers where they look at some things (theoretically) which are related to Magnus force type stuff. Other things like seam-shifted wake effects are harder to study as the fluid mechanics is much more difficult (and computationally intensive) to simulate. For baseball I believe there are some things related to this from an experimental perspective.

Jul 5, 2016
You offering to fund it? ;)

I've seen papers where they look at some things (theoretically) which are related to Magnus force type stuff. Other things like seam-shifted wake effects are harder to study as the fluid mechanics is much more difficult (and computationally intensive) to simulate. For baseball I believe there are some things related to this from an experimental perspective.
I just assume that this is some OU would want to fund given the team they have.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Pitches SHOULD be spinning fast enough that logos can't be scene. That doesn't mean they are spinning correctly, but spinning that quickly none-the-less. In a perfect world, a riseball is spinning backward, a drop is spinning forward... out of my hand I don't want the hitter to identify the pitch by the spin. This is another reason why I cannot wrap my head around 2 seam pitches, which are a much looser spin. Now, we don't live in a perfect world so most riseballs will not be 6/12 rotation. That should be the goal but it's not likely to happen.
I saw the college logo as a constant target on the ball when they throw bullet spin. I would think hitters would use that to their advantage and would also think that once seen on TV the pitching coach would recommend a different grip so the logo isn't screaming "hit me hard right here."

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28