Teaching the high level pattern

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
Maybe it’s my imagination but Haley because of me was too steep with less adjustment and reminded me of some of AJs earlier swings

Attachments

• 9F887D20-D154-46C6-879C-85856C881C9D.png
    9F887D20-D154-46C6-879C-85856C881C9D.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
If you agree with Mike regarding AJ’s adjustment, did you see any of those issues in his pre-2022 swing?

Haven’t compared them. I have a lot of video this year. Still need to edit. I was saving lots of pitchers views close ups, like when you can see ball release in the close up.

It’s amazing how consistent his swing was in these views. Like they keep pitching him to the same spot.

So, we can say he has been consistent all year. Although, he took a fastball last night right down the middle in the count, I don’t think he is locked in AS much. He is competing still.

Jun 8, 2016
Sorry I skimmed over you post I was late for church. I’ll read it slower and try to do a better job.

dumbing it down helps thanks

Put it another way, if you had a kid who was tilting too much (again, as an example of the adjustments you mentioned) what would you do as an instructor? If the answer is slower and earlier fair enough but mechanically I would like to know how a rushed load would cause too much tilt.

1. trying to tilt can cause leaning backwards
2. Tilt is more of a reaction from the suddenness of the hand snapping the barrel rearward (with a aggressive triangle) against the coiled leg snapping forward.

i failed to teach an aggressive triangle because I was afraid of dumping the barrel and bleeding the corner. A more aggressive triangle kept my upper torso over the rear hip and balanced it with a better leg snap.
3. How the front leg receives , absorbs, and directs the flow of energy.
If the front leg locks out to soon the hips are stopped from their rotation. This can cause more tilt and a steeper swing. Haley was such a great student , she did what I taught but we discovered things are not always black and white. This video of Mike Trout shows how I teach the front leg. Still a kickstand but with a shock absorber .

I agree tilt (at least frontal plane tilt) is a result and perhaps landing with a stiff front leg was due to a problem with his move out 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: TDS
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Yeah, but the secrets in the back.

Here we go again. There is no magic beans. It’s really not in the back. I’ve pointed out many times already that the EARLY scap crap is gone. That’s the difference. If you understand the HOF pattern, it’s imperative that the scap ‘loads’ later. It gives the shoulders a chance to stay ‘in’. That takes away the excessive lateral tilt. Which flattens him out, enables contact deep and out front w a new timing mechanism (front foot) bc the engine has changed. He’s spinal now. Like YOU SAID.🤠

Reactions: TDS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207