Teaching the high level pattern

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2019
I really liked your idea to have a thread dedicated to teaching a specific philosophy. I think it would be great if there were other threads available on this site that discussed other philosophies without being derailed at some point. If people would rather debate the philosophies, they really should start another thread to do that.
TDS was good enough to create another thread that can debate HLP and other way to hit but some feel I'm doing the
DFP community a disservice by sharing this and have to rescue all of you.

May 16, 2019
I like showing different hitters with all of their flaws as they are learning. I really could have used the help 6 years ago but everyone was fighting over comparing a 12 yr old girl against a grown MLB player to prove HLP does not work. The look and expression on kids and parents faces when they have a breakthrough is priceless to me. I know what its like as an athlete and parent of an athlete to struggle. This site and people like Boardmember and Five Frame Swing were two that helped my coaching skills elevate to a higher level. I'm just trying to give a little of what was given to me back.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
TDS was good enough to create another thread that can debate HLP and other way to hit but some feel I'm doing the

You can sell HLP. I don’t care. But when you shoehorn things, I will call you on it. It’s thats simple. I think Ive said this for 5 years now to whoever claimed HLP is a HOF match. Folks can make their own decisions.

May 16, 2019
I didn’t say much til comparisons and claims were made that the best players have HLP mechanics. I couldn’t care less if Mike is selling HLP.
My 1st post......

I made a commitment 6 years ago to teach my students the HLP way of hitting. It happened by accident, I was able to get the then, (2016) Oregon assistant coach to see my player. He was wonderful and stayed the whole game. The only thing he said, "She has to be able to hit 68MPH." I found Richard on his Hitting Illustrated website. This was pre Arron Judge announcement, so he had more time and was available to discuss the swing.

Fast forward to today , I have 6 years experience and several success stories and lots of video examples. My time with Maddie and Haley is just about over and I have a 12 Yr. old granddaughter I'm fighting, sorry working with. Looking back at Haley's swing , knowing what I now know, I'd take a different approach to make her transition smoother. I see a lot of moms and dads doing too much too soon especially when trying to teach hitting in general but with HLP you can really end up in a ditch.

What I needed in the beginning was a starting point. Understand and pick a method to teach. I was getting input from others that was good advice but didn't match up with the HLP method. if your choosing something different, that's great but don't mix the teaching especially in the beginning.

I think Maury ........ NM

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
My 1st post......

I made a commitment 6 years ago to teach my students the HLP way of hitting. It happened by accident, I was able to get the then, (2016) Oregon assistant coach to see my player. He was wonderful and stayed the whole game. The only thing he said, "She has to be able to hit 68MPH." I found Richard on his Hitting Illustrated website. This was pre Arron Judge announcement, so he had more time and was available to discuss the swing.

Fast forward to today , I have 6 years experience and several success stories and lots of video examples. My time with Maddie and Haley is just about over and I have a 12 Yr. old granddaughter I'm fighting, sorry working with. Looking back at Haley's swing , knowing what I now know, I'd take a different approach to make her transition smoother. I see a lot of moms and dads doing too much too soon especially when trying to teach hitting in general but with HLP you can really end up in a ditch.

What I needed in the beginning was a starting point. Understand and pick a method to teach. I was getting input from others that was good advice but didn't match up with the HLP method. if your choosing something different, that's great but don't mix the teaching especially in the beginning.

I think Maury ........ N

That’s great. But other claims were made later. You prolly got excited during your night shift etc etc. much like TM does when his student has a good game.

Edit: maybe trapping yourself in your mind isn’t a good idea for you? Stay busy maybe. I dunno I’m just ‘night shifting’ right now. Please excuse my assumptions.

Jun 8, 2016
I found a perfect method of instruction for me last night. As soon as I pitched the ball I put my head down and picked another ball out of the bucket..had no idea where the ball went. Next version of the method will include earplugs so I cannot hear contact. I am going to call it the HNESNE method..(bonus points for anyone who can figure out what the acronym stands for)

Last edited:
May 16, 2019
I found a perfect method of instruction for me last night. As soon as I pitched the ball I put my head down and picked another ball out of the bucket..had no idea where the ball went. Next version of the method will include earplugs so I cannot hear contact. I am going to call it the HNESNE method..(bonus points for anyone who can figure out what the acronym stands for)
Hear No Evil ... words to liv by

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yeah, I always found that mentality to be insulting. I'm perfectly capable of learning and forming my own decisions. I also trust other DFP members to do the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01