*POLL~12u team~ What do you think about mandatory...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Would you play for this team?

• Yes

Votes: 10 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • Thats Ridiculous

Votes: 48 64.0%
  • Thats Fantastic

Votes: 6 8.0%

• Total voters
Oct 4, 2018
Of course there are people that like it. Seems like your mind is made up. Perhaps 80% of ours are too. No way I'd be on a team like that.

We take the day after a tournament off. We takes days off when school comes first. We take days off when there are chores. We take days off when we aren't feeling 100%. We take days off when we're just not feeling it. We take days off in bad weather. We take days off when the other kids or parents priorities are more important than softball. It's healthy to do so.

You wouldn't get any video from us on those days. But then again, you wouldn't get video from us on any day. If you don't trust me or my daughter, I don't want you as a coach. [General "you", referring to the coach, not to RADcatcher]

May 6, 2015
I see a lot of these points bolstering what I said previously

I do see this as "ridiculous", and we and DD would not do that, because she is not that driven in regards to the game. That being said, there are some girls who would have no issue, they are very softball focused and driven, and that is fine, if it is the player leading the charge, and this "requirement" from the coach is just formalizing or recognizing something say 9 of the 12 girls are doing anyway. it might lead to the 3 who are not leaving, which is probably the best thing for them and the team. it is about finding the right fit in both directions. the 9 who were doing something softball related every off day anyway are probably not going to burn out, they are internally driven. this is OK for a coach trying to build a team of players all driven to that level. now if the coach is trying to take a team of 3 girls with that type of drive, and 9 with less drive to varying degrees, problem, he should wait until next season, and start fresh.

but it is not right for the majority of FP players or teams, even travel teams. and that is OK. it really is voluntary, if you do not like the team requirement, do not join the team (although something like this should be make clear prior to joining, not after joining and HC is not getting results he expected).

there is a team out there for every player, and players for every team. that type of team is not right for most players, that is all.

May 23, 2019
We're just playing 8u and the coaches asked the parents to try and play catch a couple days a week and some of our parents bristled at that lol

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Of course there are people that like it. Seems like your mind is made up.

Perhaps 80% of ours are too. No way I'd be on a team like that.

We take the day after a tournament off. We takes days off when school comes first. We take days off when there are chores. We take days off when we aren't feeling 100%. We take days off when we're just not feeling it. We take days off in bad weather. We take days off when the other kids or parents priorities are more important than softball. It's healthy to do so.

You wouldn't get any video from us on those days. But then again, you wouldn't get video from us on any day. If you don't trust me or my daughter, I don't want you as a coach. [General "you", referring to the coach, not to RADcatcher]
Thanks for a good chat!
Yes :) my mind was made up long ago to paying attention.

When i see/hear of things, like this, being implemented.
Then see the result.
It is worth a moment or two ;)
to bring up the results.
Very true this is not for everyone.
The results came out how i guessed.

May 6, 2015
We're just playing 8u and the coaches asked the parents to try and play catch a couple days a week and some of our parents bristled at that lol
rec has completely different goals than TB. difference between 8u rec and 12u TB A level is like HS compared to MLB.

that being said, those parents kids will have a better rec experience if mom or dad or older sibling or whomever plays catch with them for 30 minutes a day. coaches are not saying that at 8u because they want to win, they want the kids to develop, and 180 minutes a week (2 x 90 minute practices) with 10+ other kids is not going to lead to much development on its own.

Mar 6, 2016
The original post stated...."A 12U travel team that players need to mandatory
Upload DAILY video of workouts."

"Mandatory" = Demand in my eyes.

Therefore, the "demand" of the coach for mandatory daily videos of the players proof they did something....is RIDICULOUS...in my opinion.

For me, on the teams I've coached what matters:
Your play on the field
Your effort at practice
Your character off the field (this becomes more important on my HS teams than youth teams....damn teenagers. lol ) ?

I can't control or really want to try and control or dictate what a player does on their own or what they may be going through family/parent wise. To demand extra workout time at 12 yrs old is too much. As they progress and get to 16-18 yrs and usually begin to narrow their focus of the sport they love, then that is a different topic. But at 12u with kids 12 and 11 yrs old? Daily "mandatory" workout regimen and video proof??

No thanks!

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
rec has completely different goals than TB. difference between 8u rec and 12u TB A level is like HS compared to MLB.

that being said, those parents kids will have a better rec experience if mom or dad or older sibling or whomever plays catch with them for 30 minutes a day. coaches are not saying that at 8u because they want to win, they want the kids to develop, and 180 minutes a week (2 x 90 minute practices) with 10+ other kids is not going to lead to much development on its own.

At 8U we asked for 10 minutes of catch with mom/dad/sibling per day. It's amazing how just that small amount can improve beginners.

May 4, 2016
If you trust your players you don’t need videos. If you don’t maybe you need different players, or maybe you just have trust issues.

Oct 26, 2019
And people wonder why young girls that are really talented get burned out on a sport by the time they are 14. What about the girls who play multiple sports? Play music? Volunteer in their community? Ridiculous demand by the coaches at that age level.
Gotta say I agree with you @Quigs10. No one is burned out on something until they are. At that point it’s usually too late.

My 10 year old does team practice twice a week and games/tournaments on the weekend. We normally do one additional day of softball during the week on our own. At 10U that is plenty IMO.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elhoff86