*POLL~12u team~ What do you think about mandatory...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Would you play for this team?

• Yes

Votes: 10 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • Thats Ridiculous

Votes: 48 64.0%
  • Thats Fantastic

Votes: 6 8.0%

• Total voters
Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
She said *workout* every day and I am assuming that means non-practice days so maybe 5 days a week? Hit 3 times a week, do wall ball twice a week and agility work once or twice a week..Is that really that much?? I am dead serious about the stupid cellphone thing..get them off it for 30 minutes to 60 minutes and have them move around some...
View attachment 21342

Right now, DD has practice for 2.5 hours a day....5 days a week with her Jr High team. It’s after school and with the entire team.

When she gets home she likes to play volleyball in the yard for 30-45 minutes if weather is nice.

After that she comes in and stretches. Then does chores and/or homework. Has dinner and a shower. Then does some band work for her knee and a light body weight workout that is designed to strengthen her core and leg muscles. (She grew A LOT over the last 6 months and has had some knee pain. We are making sure it doesn’t come back.) We give her weekends off but often she’ll play basketball or volleyball outside.

If there’s time left before bed she gets an hour of phone/tv/computer time.

I only write this in support of your post pattar. The hard part is really on the parent to be a parent and figuring out what the priorities are. We only allow one hour of “screen time” per day for our kids. Phone/TV/Computer/Xbox....whatever. And is only allowed once practice, chores and homework are done. My earlier post was made in jest, because some days it goes smoother than others. As weather gets nicer it becomes easier.

To your point though....a workout can be anything. Hitting, throwing, body weight exercises, indoor tennis ball work....whatever. And can be as short as 30min or as long as an hour. My DD has a phone (which we regulate heavily) so she could record herself. Then send it to us and we’d send on to the coach. She will be 13 next month.....she isn’t allowed direct phone contact with any coach. Whether it’s the JH HC (state won’t allow it) or her TB HC (parental and HC decision). That all goes through DW and I.

Yes, multi-kid families likely have busy schedules. Some kids are multi-sport athletes. That’s fine. Maybe it’s only 3-4 days a week then. But, I don’t think it’s the most absurd thing to ask for. All about fit.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Maybe its a rec team where no one does extra work. I agree with you. If your DD is on a serious team they are working 4 to 7 times a week in addition to practice. adding another 30 mins a day is way to much.

The team situation does play a roll. How many times a week the team is practicing. What are they working on. How long is practice. Etc etc. Forcing an extra 30min per day doesn’t make sense probably if, to your point, they are meeting 5x per week for 1-2 hours.

But if it’s a team that only meets maybe twice a week. Multiple girls need to be held accountable. It’s not the worst request to make.

Jun 8, 2016
Maybe its a rec team where no one does extra work. I agree with you. If your DD is on a serious team they are working 4 to 7 times a week in addition to practice. adding another 30 mins a day is way to much.
This is how I read it. If you are already doing work 5 times a week outside of practice, you set up your phone and video it, send it to coach and say hey Coach look how hard I am working please play me..Then you get on twitter/FB post it with #Iworksohard and tag coach Gasso/Perez/White/etc/etc

Jun 8, 2016
Right now, DD has practice for 2.5 hours a day....5 days a week with her Jr High team. It’s after school and with the entire team.

When she gets home she likes to play volleyball in the yard for 30-45 minutes if weather is nice.

After that she comes in and stretches. Then does chores and/or homework. Has dinner and a shower. Then does some band work for her knee and a light body weight workout that is designed to strengthen her core and leg muscles. (She grew A LOT over the last 6 months and has had some knee pain. We are making sure it doesn’t come back.) We give her weekends off but often she’ll play basketball or volleyball outside.

If there’s time left before bed she gets an hour of phone/tv/computer time.

I only write this in support of your post pattar. The hard part is really on the parent to be a parent and figuring out what the priorities are. We only allow one hour of “screen time” per day for our kids. Phone/TV/Computer/Xbox....whatever. And is only allowed once practice, chores and homework are done. My earlier post was made in jest, because some days it goes smoother than others. As weather gets nicer it becomes easier.

To your point though....a workout can be anything. Hitting, throwing, body weight exercises, indoor tennis ball work....whatever. And can be as short as 30min or as long as an hour. My DD has a phone (which we regulate heavily) so she could record herself. Then send it to us and we’d send on to the coach. She will be 13 next month.....she isn’t allowed direct phone contact with any coach. Whether it’s the JH HC (state won’t allow it) or her TB HC (parental and HC decision). That all goes through DW and I.

Yes, multi-kid families likely have busy schedules. Some kids are multi-sport athletes. That’s fine. Maybe it’s only 3-4 days a week then. But, I don’t think it’s the most absurd thing to ask for. All about fit.
I don't like the mandatory part and at 12 I probably wouldn't join a team that did that. My point was doing something which could be considered a workout 5 times a week outside of an organized practice isn't a lot. For example my guess is this TB coach would considered school ball practice in this mandatory thing..right there you would be set already..

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
This is how I read it. If you are already doing work 5 times a week outside of practice, you set up your phone and video it, send it to coach and say hey Coach look how hard I am working please play me..Then you get on twitter/FB post it with #Iworksohard and tag coach Gasso/Perez/White/etc/etc

You forgot #trusttheprocess.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
I don't like the mandatory part and at 12 I probably wouldn't join a team that did that. My point was doing something which could be considered a workout 5 times a week outside of an organized practice isn't a lot. For example my guess is this TB coach would considered school ball practice in this mandatory thing..right there you would be set already..

Yah - and I agree. If DD’s TB HC asked for an extra workout on top of her school ball I’d be out. DD would also tell me to pound sand if I asked. Luckily, he knows the school program and doesn’t even worry about the work she puts in.

My point was more around the fact of making the time available if it needed to be. If the team is only getting together twice a week....asking for videoing extra work the other days isn’t out of the question.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Heres simply what i get from this.
Do something the days you are away from your team and share it with your team!

Posts asked some good questions. Good to think it through!! Some replys to those.

1. No mandatory workout. its
Do what you want.
2. No mandatory time limit. its
Do something on your own.
3. Yes the coach follows the video. Do they look at every minute who knows? However i did mention playing time can be affected.
This can mean this player is our starter this weekend?!
Or perhaps how to build the line up next weekend?!

Is it really that hard to do something say for 20 minutes?
Or
Is it just hard to upload a little video?

Heres a big element to this~
Teammates are often already friends and become friends.
They already like to AND want to connect.
+ They have a team goal together.

Will say again the players respond to seeing others posting. Wether thats a take over from the video generation of tik tok type things...or a combo of softball sport video's
Theres a team doing this and players are responding.

People wouldnt do this if they werent wanting to.
Simply there are many other teams to play on.

Think its good to have choices!

*As to whomevers comment that was about the coach leading by example...
Yes they certainly do set an example by having structure.
Having a prepaired schedule.
Facilitating practices.
Interacting with feedback about players workouts.
Supporting the team through hours of coaching weekly.
Add this coach also video's games and posts them for team & families use!
Good Job Coach! ?

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
I am assuming this was in response to me (and you just momentarily forgot how to quote...) so I will respond.

I don't necessarily agree with the person forcing them but don't act like doing some sort of workout everyday is a huge deal...

It wasn't to you, really.

The Original Post (OP) states DAILY and video footage. I take offense by that for several reasons. Sounds like gestapo stuff. Back down, coach. We work almost every day but we'll take days off when we want to or need to (health, other stuff, school, not feeling it, etc.).

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
It wasn't to you, really.

The Original Post (OP) states DAILY and video footage. I take offense by that for several reasons. Sounds like gestapo stuff. Back down, coach. We work almost every day but we'll take days off when we want to or need to (health, other stuff, school, not feeling it, etc.).
Originals post
Screenshot_2021-03-11-08-45-09-1.png

Hmmm not certain there @uncdrew about your gestapo comment.
Back down coach?
Selecting a travel team is a family choice.

Seriously you threw in when player is sick...come on now...
Why not add if player is injured....
Surely you are understanding the goal.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elhoff86