*POLL~12u team~ What do you think about mandatory...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Would you play for this team?

• Yes

Votes: 10 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • Thats Ridiculous

Votes: 48 64.0%
  • Thats Fantastic

Votes: 6 8.0%

• Total voters
Dec 15, 2018
CT
I get instilling a culture of "do something every day to make yourself better". That's cool. I just think a mandatory daily video upload is overkill.

And that "something" doesn't have to be physical. It could be "studying film" - your own, or even watching a game (I mean really watching, like noting things), or reading something.

And I could get something like, "every Sunday night send me a quick text or email with what you did this week each day to make yourself better".

Also, as a coach, it'd be a bit of a pain to slog through 12-14 videos every night of 12Us throwing a ball against a wall...

Oct 29, 2019
Sounds like a waste of time.

We are working on Softball pretty much every day.

2x a week hitting lessons
1x a week pitching lessons
league double headers 1x a week
travel team practice 2x a week
hitting off the tee 4x a week
weekend tournaments

If we have to prove all that work to the coach then something isn't working. If it doesn't show on the field then bench her.

For awhile we were required to get a blast motion so the coach could see how hard the kids were working. This got to be a big PITA. I don't want to play for a team where she might see bench time because she forgot to charge her bat before hitting lessons.

Jun 8, 2016
Sounds like a waste of time.

weekend tournaments
If you don't video all of that already you are in the minority... ;)

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019

weekend tournaments

If we have to prove all that work to the coach then something isn't working. If it doesn't show on the field then bench her.

For awhile we were required to get a blast motion so the coach could see how hard the kids were working. This got to be a big PITA. I don't want to play for a team where she might see bench time because she forgot to charge her bat before hitting lessons.
Do you think young players can inspire other young players?

Not sure what age your athlete is.
Some might say that schedule is excessive.

Others will say
I want to do that to!

Mar 6, 2016
And people wonder why young girls that are really talented get burned out on a sport by the time they are 14. What about the girls who play multiple sports? Play music? Volunteer in their community? Ridiculous demand by the coaches at that age level.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Ridiculous demand by the coaches at that age level.
Not getting the arguement its a demand or that people are forced to.

Its something softball families have chosen to do!
Players like it!

Choices Choices Choices

Oct 4, 2018
80% of us voted "no" or "ridiculous". We all know softball. Not sure if people are viewing and interpreting the results, or simply ignoring them. The idea of working outside of practice is of course a good idea. Making it mandatory every day (yes, I understood your definition of "daily" the first time) is just going too far. It will offend people like me already doing it, sending video is a PITA and will get old really soon. It's just too rigid and demanding.

And honestly, the system will fall apart within a month or two. People won't send it in, they'll miss days and weeks here and there, any enforcement of it will get immediate backlash, and those that haven't already quit will probably soon leave.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
80% of us voted "no" or "ridiculous". We all know softball. Not sure if people are viewing and interpreting the results, or simply ignoring them. The idea of working outside of practice is of course a good idea. Making it mandatory every day (yes, I understood your definition of "daily" the first time) is just going too far. It will offend people like me already doing it, sending video is a PITA and will get old really soon. It's just too rigid and demanding.

And honestly, the system will fall apart within a month or two. People won't send it in, they'll miss days and weeks here and there, any enforcement of it will get immediate backlash, and those that haven't already quit will probably soon leave.
Now you just come across as a nay-sayer. The system will fall apart. They will quit...
Nope its going strong.
Why avoid the point that its inspiring the players?
Its a good thing.

To the point of who voted and how. Could find similar desparity in any age bracket on topics.
There are at all levels players who are participating more or less than each other. Days per week.

The point to me anyway isnt how many at this age may chose not to do this.
Rather the fact there are PEOPLE who like this.

AND
THE PLAYERS ARE RESPONDING POSITIVELY TO IT.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elhoff86