Leaving the base early

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
If it is fewer than 3, than with a runner on 1B is very hard to see to call the infraction. I would say it is not being intentionally overlooked, but it is being prioritized lower in the scheme of things umpires can/are looking at.
This is true- it’s hard for a 2 umpire crew to see.

Also players can tell if they are being watched and adjust accordingly.

Jun 27, 2021
So do you have your infielder(s) yell when the runner breaks contact with the bag to specifically draw the umpire's attention to a runner leaving early?
No pitcher turned and said watch her leaving early. 2B casually said she’s know for leaving early to blue. I’m not the coach but knew that’s how they handled that situation to slow the head start.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
No pitcher turned and said watch her leaving early. 2B casually said she’s know for leaving early to blue. I’m not the coach but knew that’s how they handled that situation to slow the head start.
It might not get you a call, but it may slow the runner down. It is smart not to address the umpire directly "Hey everyone, this one likes to get a head start., be ready for the play"... This is not a bad way to handle it to be honest.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
I can understand why obstruction gets played out because actually have to see where the catcher is standing upon receiving the ball. That is two things coming together to be able to make the call.
Not the obstruction I was talking about. I was referring to the contact between the bat and catcher during the at-bat. the one once known as catcher's interference.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
One thing I haven't seen discussed is how we as catchers are put at a disadvantage with runners leaving early. It's one thing if a runner catches the defense (namely catchers) napping. It's one thing when catchers catch the runner napping. It's one thing when the runner takes off and the catcher has the opportunity to get said baserunner. It's completely different when you have runners taking off early. When the pitcher starts her windup until the catcher gets the ball to second, we have at best a second and a half to make the play on the runner. When you have runners...especially speedy runners leaving early, you reduce that time down to roughly a second. That's not enough time to really do anything from a defensive standpoint. Please correct me if I'm off base.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Not true, also have to take into account player skill, wind, sun.

And whether it is fair or foul... or actually a fly ball and also where the fielders are positioned (you have to judge that a fielder is able to easily catch the ball even if they end up not being the one doing the catching).

Another reason it is not a dead ball/immediate out BTW; If I call 'infield fly if fair' and the ball ends up being dropped in FOUL TERRIORY or just landing in foul territory, it is no longer an infield fly - it is just a foul and the batter remains at bat.

Jun 27, 2021
It might not get you a call, but it may slow the runner down. It is smart not to address the umpire directly "Hey everyone, this one likes to get a head start., be ready for the play"... This is not a bad way to handle it to be honest.
That was the point. To let the runner know and the 1B coach know her pattern of leaving early.

Jun 27, 2021
One thing I haven't seen discussed is how we as catchers are put at a disadvantage with runners leaving early. It's one thing if a runner catches the defense (namely catchers) napping. It's one thing when catchers catch the runner napping. It's one thing when the runner takes off and the catcher has the opportunity to get said baserunner. It's completely different when you have runners taking off early. When the pitcher starts her windup until the catcher gets the ball to second, we have at best a second and a half to make the play on the runner. When you have runners...especially speedy runners leaving early, you reduce that time down to roughly a second. That's not enough time to really do anything from a defensive standpoint. Please correct me if I'm off base.
Well said and the point of the topic.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Not true, also have to take into account player skill, wind, sun.
And whether it is fair or foul... or actually a fly ball and also where the fielders are positioned (you have to judge that a fielder is able to easily catch the ball even if they end up not being the one doing the catching).

Another reason it is not a dead ball/immediate out BTW; If I call 'infield fly if fair' and the ball ends up being dropped in FOUL TERRIORY or just landing in foul territory, it is no longer an infield fly - it is just a foul and the batter remains at bat.
The point is
*However that call is made it is made by the Umpire. It is a choice of when the umpire wants to make that call.
( which that in itself causes Oddity because coaches wonder why the call wasn't made immediately in their opinions)
*It is not handed over to one of the teams to make a decision having a choice.

?Maybe the rule of now giving the defense a choice is a slippery slope of how many other choices are we going to give teams that make decisions on the field over the umpire?

As the new rule is... and only that division of softball. See it as peculiar that the umpiring on the field is not making the call when the rule gets broken.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amc2221