People behind the plate calling out where the catcher is set up.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
So anyone that yells anything from the stands is a coach? You better get way bigger dugouts then because you are going to have to put them all in the dugout.

Everyone is yelling stuff from the stands, and no they are not coaches.

What about a parent in the stands calling pitches for the whole game? Is that not coaching?

A single person calling out pitch locations on every single pitch is 100% coaching the players during the game. That's not "Suzie, keep your elbow up!"

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
According to DD, players in the dugout use specific cheers for the batter to indicate catcher set-up.
If they have time to send a message thru a cheer then the catcher is setting up way too early.
If the catcher is setting up at the proper time there would only be a half a second for parent, player or coach to message batter with a quick in/out, turn/travel, type command which would be obvious to all watching.
Also I wonder how many players could process a command a half second before pitch is delivered and during the pitchers delivery and use it to their advantage. It may even be a distraction???
Again umps, if you hear someone barking out pitch locations, simply call HC over and tell him if it doesn't immediately and completely stop you are going to throw him out. I don't care what the rules say because there is no chance that the coach of this type of team with these parents would know the rules.

May 29, 2015
Again umps, if you hear someone barking out pitch locations, simply call HC over and tell him if it doesn't immediately and completely stop you are going to throw him out. I don't care what the rules say because there is no chance that the coach of this type of team with these parents would know the rules.

Not illegal for a participant in the game by the written rules*.

Unofficially, there is an official penalty.

*Caveat: Little League does prohibit stealing and relaying signs.

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
How is it stealing when its publicly visible?

That's a little bit different than using binoculars from center field hunching behind a trash can spying at the catcher relaying numbers...

🙊🙉🙈🥳😂

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
Not a common occurrence, but some people are just trash.

I'd just call for an inside-and-up pitch, set up outside and then as late as possible or on pitch release I'd slide inside.

Also - and let me say this again for those who can't hear - your catcher doesn't need to setup anywhere but at the point of the plate. They can reach ANY strike from right there. There is ZERO need to setup inside or outside. I know you 'saw in MLB' but junior softball isn't MLB

And yes, the umpire has zero control authority over the crowd. That is the UIC or Tournament/Site Director. Maybe they would do something about it if told, but I doubt it. It isn't against any rules.
I disagree. As an umpire, they are now coaching……all coaches must be in the dugout. Go there or be quiet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PHguy