Leaving the base early

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
The offended team is not making a choice of whether the rule got broken or not, but if they want the penalty to be applied. There are 2 examples of this is NCAA softball, catcher's obstruction and leaving the base early. However, this is not unique in the world of sports, in football for instance a team nearly always has the choice to decline a penalty. The logic behind this is to prevent a team from gaining an advantage by breaking a rule and having a penalty enforced that would be a more favorable result than the result of the play.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
The offended team is not making a choice of whether the rule got broken or not, but if they want the penalty to be applied.
Understand they don't get to decide if the rule was broken. However they do get a choice.
Of How and what will happen on the field.

Post#9
Screenshot_20220327-082750_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I would rather the BU reprioritize their duties. Leaving early is more important than watching for checked swings, IMO.

Also, if there is only one ump and he looks up after digesting the pitch and the runner is over 2/3 the way to 2nd base, he could make the assumption that the runner left early.

Oct 14, 2019
I would rather the BU reprioritize their duties. Leaving early is more important than watching for checked swings, IMO.

Also, if there is only one ump and he looks up after digesting the pitch and the runner is over 2/3 the way to 2nd base, he could make the assumption that the runner left early.
Sometimes it’s easy to tell. Catcher catches cleanly, perfect throwdown 2 feet above the bag. Clean catch by fielder. And yet the runner’s already popped up and standing on the bag.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
The offended team is not making a choice of whether the rule got broken or not, but if they want the penalty to be applied. There are 2 examples of this is NCAA softball, catcher's obstruction and leaving the base early. However, this is not unique in the world of sports, in football for instance a team nearly always has the choice to decline a penalty. The logic behind this is to prevent a team from gaining an advantage by breaking a rule and having a penalty enforced that would be a more favorable result than the result of the play.

Soccer has Advantage. The ref can acknowledge the foul but allow play to continue if he deems it is advantageous to the fouled team to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 27, 2021

Sometimes it’s easy to tell. Catcher catches cleanly, perfect throwdown 2 feet above the bag. Clean catch by fielder. And yet the runner’s already popped up and standing on the bag.
Assuming something woud happen a certain way isnt the correct way to officiate.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
do you really want us umpires assuming what happened on the field? Hrmm, C is holding the ball directly in the middle of her body, I didnt see the pitch but I can assume it was a strike down the middle.....

Oct 14, 2019
Assuming something woud happen a certain way isnt the correct way to officiate.
i didn’t say to call anyone out based on an assumption. save your quotes for the other poster. however, it’s a big clue if the umpire is paying attention for the next time. most offending teams keep doing it until it’s called, which is sometimes never.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2020
do you really want us umpires assuming what happened on the field? Hrmm, C is holding the ball directly in the middle of her body, I didnt see the pitch but I can assume it was a strike down the middle.....
There are plenty of times umpires make assumptions. They assume balls and strikes every game. Unless you think umpires never miss a call, there is assumption.
On infield fly rule they make an assumption what the fielder's capabilities are whether they can reach it or not. Unless you think umpires know every player skill set, there is assumption.
If the infeld fly rule had a designated line around the infield there would be no need to assume.

Feb 15, 2017
There are plenty of times umpires make assumptions. They assume balls and strikes every game. Unless you think umpires never miss a call, there is assumption.
On infield fly rule they make an assumption what the fielder's capabilities are whether they can reach it or not. Unless you think umpires know every player skill set, there is assumption.
If the infeld fly rule had a designated line around the infield there would be no need to assume.
There's a huge difference between judgement and assumptions.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PHguy